MS2 caught on fire!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS2 caught on fire!

I just finished replacing my fuel tank. Prior to this, I replaced my engine harness and started it to make sure everything would run properly, which it did. So, went through replacing my fuel tank, go to start the car up and I noticed smoke coming from my ECU. Removed my ECU and saw the burnt motherboard....I don't understand what could cause this....I do have a new battery from Autozone...any thoughts?

If you need other pictures, let me know....none of the wires from the entry of the board that connects to the main harness are singed...just on the opposite side. Not sure what went first....
    Attached Files
    1997 Artic Silver M3
    CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Here are some other pics/before and after cleaning
    Attached Files
    1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

Is that wiring and connector for your serial connection?
      My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
      4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Looks like you let the smoke out of a capacitor. It's really tough to put that smoke back in.

I'm guessing there was a problem from the wiring harness. Something that should have had resistance was shorted, and poof.

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
          Is that wiring and connector for your serial connection?
          Yes, i have an aux input that connects to a serial adapter for my laptop. This was built by blueapplesoda at DMS

Originally posted by dewme5 View Post
          Looks like you let the smoke out of a capacitor. It's really tough to put that smoke back in.

I'm guessing there was a problem from the wiring harness. Something that should have had resistance was shorted, and poof.
          The car ran fine before with this new enginr harness.....and I figured the wire itself would be toast or show on the wiring up to the ECU? Perhaps a voltage spike? The car has been sitting for a couple months
          1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

Shipping this to PFT Tuning today and he will be able to tell me if it is salvageable. He said he has seen capacitors fail for no reason. I guess when I get it back and key on the ignition, I will know then
            1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

Just thought I would update, received repaired unit, reinstalled, fired the car right up all was good to go....not sure what caused the capacitor to let the smoke out, but I don't think it was anything to do with anything....Peter said sometimes these things happen.
              1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

Working...
              X