Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front Exhaust Bracket - trick for a straight install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Exhaust Bracket - trick for a straight install?

I recently installed a lightly used OEM catalytic converter, and when I got the muffler on, it looked crooked. The right side of the twin exhaust tips was lower than the left. Took it all apart and saw that the bracket by the transmission was sagging. Just need to adjust it and tighten it up. No problem, right?

Well I put some gorilla strength torque on this bolts and they still sag the bracket under the weight of the cat. What the heck am I doin' wrong? Thanks in advance!Click image for larger version  Name:	bracket.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.3 KB ID:	10031546
    R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
    └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Jack up the exhaust to sit where you want and drill/add another bolt or a pin in the bracket while it's supported. Alternately, do your adjusting at the straps for the rear muffler, and that's mostly an exercise in bending the tabs to sit however you want.

With whatever solution, go back and check the clamped joints in the exhaust system for leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      Jack up the exhaust to sit where you want and drill/add another bolt or a pin in the bracket while it's supported. Alternately, do your adjusting at the straps for the rear muffler, and that's mostly an exercise in bending the tabs to sit however you want.

With whatever solution, go back and check the clamped joints in the exhaust system for leaks.
      Thanks - I'll have to give that a try. Was also thinking of maybe using some larger bolts to fill the holes in the bracket and eliminate the wiggle room.

Comment

Drilled both brackets and added 2 bolts, MacGyver-style. Not pretty but this works. The reason the exhaust was sagging on the right side is because the 2 factory bolts aligning it straight mount thru 2 rubberized washers that had started to fail. Long-term proper solution is to replace the washers. Far as I know, you can only get them with a new exhaust-to-transmission mount bracket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bracketfix.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	10031976

Comment

Update: Without the rubber washers, you do get a bit of vibration thru the chassis when the engine is under load. Not unbearable, but noticeable. I replaced my Frankenstein'd bracket with a brand new one (about $25), and the muffler now sits as it should - vibe noise gone, too. Guess there's a reason BMW engineered it that way!

Comment

Working...
          X