magnaflow exhaust rasp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

magnaflow exhaust rasp

does anyone know anything about the break-in time for magnaflow mufflers. Mine always has a rasp when the engine is decelerating from around 4000 and up. Then i heard someone say something about break in time for the muffler and after that time the rasp will go away.

does anyone know anything about this?

all comments welcome

Welcome to magnaflow. When you buy an exhaust that is too small, it is raspy. Break in time does happen as the dampering material settles, but it only makes the exhaust louder. A resonator is the most common way to eliminate the rasp.
    -tim
    Originally posted by Jordan
    I like the stance
    -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

ok, so how long do you think the break in time is for the dampering material, because i don't mind if it is louder, just the rasp is kinda bothersome sometimes.

Comment

which muffler? I still don't have any rasp with mine.

7speedshop.com

Comment

it is the offset/center 3"in 3" out or it could be 2.5"in and 2.5" out. I think there are around 4000 miles on the muffler, it would seem like it should be broken in by now? no?

Comment

It should be broken in by now.

7speedshop.com

Comment

yeah, I havent noticed any rasp with my 14815. im happy with the sound.
              www.benjamineliward.com

Comment

Originally posted by kylekrueger View Post
                it is the offset/center 3"in 3" out or it could be 2.5"in and 2.5" out. I think there are around 4000 miles on the muffler, it would seem like it should be broken in by now? no?
                The inlet/outlet doesn't matter as much. It is the volume of the muffler that helps. What car is it on, and are you still running the stock cat? After 1k miles it should be broken in.
                -tim
                I like the stance

Comment

it is on my m30b35 e30 swap. I think it is this one #11259, the dimensions are 18x9x4 on not stock cat.

Comment

Yeah, IMO your engine size is way too large for that muffler. That is why the rasp persists. Plus, Those high flow ebay cats have a hard time eliminating rasp. The problem is that you live in smog nazi territory, so you are a kinda screwed. If you can, adding another muffler/cherry bomb/resonator of some sort will help make it less noticeable.
                    -tim
                    I like the stance

Comment

O wow, ok. Yeah i know, where I live is terrible for cars with bad emissions like mine, haha, last time I had to fake the emissions test, unfortunately. But thanks for the help, wow, where do you think i could get a cheap resonator?

Comment

Working...
                      X