Gutted out stock muffler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutted out stock muffler?

I'm having some welding work done - I think the hourly rate is going to be really cheap. If it is I was thinking about having him gut out and remove some or all of the baffels.

Anyone do this? What does it sound like? Actually I'm thinking this idea might be retarded.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

I did this to my 89 325is and have done this to 2 2002s in the past. What i do is remove everything inside the muffler and weld in perforated tubes going straight through and pack the muffler with fiberglass . If you keep the stock tubing sizes through the muffler it is BARELY louder than stock. On my 325 it was too quiet so i did it again with 2.5 inch perf tubes (the size of the tips) and it sounds slightly deeper than stock but chill. Shoot me a PM if you want to hear it over the phone or more details. The muffler is double skinned BTW and is a pain in the ass to weld back together.
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I did this on my 325 SETA a while back, way too raspy in my opinion, It sounded like a fart cannon but not as good ( wait, did I just say that)

I vote no.
      harry/harout

Comment

Originally posted by bmw325csi View Post
        I did this on my 325 SETA a while back, way too raspy in my opinion, It sounded like a fart cannon but not as good ( wait, did I just say that)

I vote no.
        Did you just remove the internals or turn it into a straight through glass pack? Mine are not raspy at all, hardly different from stock.
        Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I drilled holes in mine. Sounded good.

Comment

I don't doubt you did that danny. ;)

Comment

That was on my first car :|

Comment

Dinan has been selling their exhausts with the same design for years. only at an over priced gutted stock exhaust at $800 bucks *rolls eyes* but apparently it works

Comment

Hmm...Kinda sounds like a kazoo.

Comment

^That does sound like a kazoo. Not so nice.
                    Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Working...
                    X