Catalytic Converter Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catalytic Converter Options

Hey Folks. So failed CA smog and am looking into getting a catalytic converter to fix it. What are my options? Is it worth a trip to pick and pull to grab a cat? Or is the used cat going to fail too? Do I have to buy OEM cat? If yes how much does that bad boy cost? Is there aftermarket stuff? Essentially what are my options and how much are we looking here?
    -----------------------------------
    Life is too short to be driving a Honda.

sigpic

You cannot buy a used cat from pick and pull.
    I'm pretty sure if you want to do it legally you'll have to buy a brand new one.

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
    2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Not sure about out your way, but here they cut the cats off all cars that come into the salvage yard. I am sure there is a legitimate reason but I have no clue what that is. I recall seeing cats available on ebay for less than the cost of OEM but that's been a while.

Quick google search:

Comment

I can't get a cat from the pick and pull, they take out the cat before they let the public rape the cars.

I believe / guess you can buy a universal cat for about 80 or something, even though it says its not CA legal it will most probably pass. I have a universal cat and i passed. OR it could be your o2 sensor that is giving bad readings.
        my project

http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=164374

Comment

A California approved (aftermarket brand, not oem) cat is going to expensive, over $400 iirc. Your better off getting a universal cat. As long as it passes the sniffer, you should be fine. I doubt most smog places are going to look too closely at the cat. If you really want to save money, buy a used oem cat from the classifieds, but you run the risk of it being bad. I bought a CA approved cat, but I probably wouldn't do it again.
          sigpic
          January 2012 COTM

Comment

As some others have said you most likely will not be able to get one from the local junkyards. Not sure about in CA but in MD it is illegal for the yard to sell you a cat.

A local muffler shop should be able to weld a new one in for you for not too bad.

If you have the $ and want an easy bolt on setup Turner has a bunch for every model of E30 - http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...onverters.aspx

Bimmerworld has the same for possibly a bit less - http://store.bimmerworld.com/dec-cat...ies-p1103.aspx

Comment

In california it is illegal for yards to sell used cats. they are required to remove them from all cars.
              I failed smog earlier this year in cali, got a new cat and was waaaaay cleaner then the average #'s.
              my smog guy got me hooked up really good, brand new, CA approved OEM cat, and install for 275$. cheapest ive seen anywhere.....

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer420 View Post
                In california it is illegal for yards to sell used cats. they are required to remove them from all cars.
                I failed smog earlier this year in cali, got a new cat and was waaaaay cleaner then the average #'s.
                my smog guy got me hooked up really good, brand new, CA approved OEM cat, and install for 275$. cheapest ive seen anywhere.....
                Heck that's not bad. Can he hook me up too or is that a once in a lifetime deal?

sigpic

Comment

Go on craigslist, find wrecked e30, get cat for cheap, pass smog, sell on r3v... profit?
                  Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

I have a magnaflow cat with twin inlet outlets I could sell you. Id let it go for cheap its just colecting dust. Though youd most likely have to get some new exhaust to make it work.
                    sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
                    The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

We need to all chip in a few dollars and send a cat around like hans, only to be used during smogging lol.
                      Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

Something else that needs to be noted is that it is now illegal for a business within the state of California to sell you (a CA citizen) a Non-California approved muffler.
                        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by Streichholzschächtelchen View Post
                          We need to all chip in a few dollars and send a cat around like hans, only to be used during smogging lol.
                          That's a sweet ass idea. At least us southern california folks could start this and pass it around. there seems to be enough of us to get this idea to materialize.

sigpic

Comment

plenty of places online to buy
                            you might like this site http://www.californialegalconverters.com
                            at the least, it might answer your questions

good luck....it's confusing in Cali

Comment

'92 BMW 325ic 2.5L CA CARB approved, Magnaflow universal high flow dual in/dual out #36008 $186.45 to your door. Hottexhaust.com 800-288-7730. That part # is not listed on line, must call. to discuss.

Are you sure it is your cat? Can you post a cc of your smog readout? Was it good & hot when you tested it? Do you have any vacuum leaks? How long did the car sit before you bought it? A simple search will bring up a number of instances where a simple tune-up & fixing any engine air leaks (cracked air intake elbow?) got many cars to pass. Getting it to run good can clean-up tail pipe emissions.
                              Last edited by cactusjacks1; 09-21-2011, 02:37 PM.
                              [I

Comment

Working...
                              X