Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exhaust fumes in the cabin.. possible causes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust fumes in the cabin.. possible causes.

Hello there friends.

Im getting intoxicated with the exhaust fumes of my car.

Rolling with the driver window down I get an instant hit of that stupid smell...
    After driving for 40 or 50 minutes I have to take a shower because I smell like an exhaust, my clothes stinks, my stomach have a strange feeling and my head is about to blow up.

long story short: Im been slowly intoxicated with the fumes. My girl thinks that I am dating my exhaust.

- No big leaks in the pipes.
    - all the smell comes from the tailpipe, car is running rich
    see: this huge thread.
    - roof /windows open =instant smell in the cabin coming from outside.
    - Windows / roof closed = a few extra miles until the smell attacks.

This is my exhaust ( I know its a POS)

Do I have to consider some type of cleareance between the tip of the exhaust and the bumper? Something is causing this ...

As usual I appretiate any kind of input, insults, tips, and nude pictures.
    Thanks.
    _Mariano

any tip? help? gas mask models?

Im driving like this

Comment

excellent news.... went to a part dealer here, bought a super universal trunk gasket and the exhaust smell is gone!

The previous gasket had a few scratches and it was torn in one side....

Comment

Hi Mariano,
        What is a super universal trunk gasket? the rubber for the lid?

My car seems to be running rich, but it is a convertible and drafty and noisy, and I dont have as bad a smell as you seem to. I am getting 17mpg around town - on a brand new cylinder head! But I havent really begun to diagnose this (I have a 2.5L engine).

I did replace the bad boot but have a number of things to look at. Since the previous owner basically ran it into the ground, I have a ways to go....

Comment

Im interested in the trunk gasket too. Is it the strip that runs along the top beneath the trunk lid?

Comment

Originally posted by rtwaits View Post
            Hi Mariano,
            What is a super universal trunk gasket? the rubber for the lid?

My car seems to be running rich, but it is a convertible and drafty and noisy, and I dont have as bad a smell as you seem to. I am getting 17mpg around town - on a brand new cylinder head! But I havent really begun to diagnose this (I have a 2.5L engine).

I did replace the bad boot but have a number of things to look at. Since the previous owner basically ran it into the ground, I have a ways to go....
            Hi how are you?
            Yes! that same rubber, part 51711884149 "trunk lid seal".
            We're struggling to get original parts here in Argentina, so I had to search for an alternative. I went to a shop (something like Autozone for you) Norauto, and bought an "universal trunk lid seal" came 4.5 mts and was really cheap. The profile of the rubber is the exact same one of the BMW OEM replacement... but 10 times cheaper.

Originally posted by ANDRÜ View Post
            Im interested in the trunk gasket too. Is it the strip that runs along the top beneath the trunk lid?
            Hi Andrew, yes! That rubber strip was all frayed and dry. After replacing that trunk gasket lid the exhaust fumes dissapeared. I can drive for 20 miles without having to take a bath! hahahahah

If you guys need more information let me know, maybe I can take a few pictures.

Part #2 in RealOEM diagram (applies to all BMW E30 I think)

Part No. for mi 325: 51711884149

_Mariano

Comment

I know this thread is dead but as an FYI for others as this my first search engine result.

My fix was a $10 exhaust turn down from Autozone. I had to cut the tailpipe back some as well as the turn down. Welded it up and no more stinky cab.

My tailpipe was 2" OD (1985 325e)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	83
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	10102753

Comment

Working...
              X