No announcement yet.

Better exhaust setup??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 1/4 is too small for a 325i. My car had a single 2 1/4 with resonator and I really felt the difference when I changed it to 2.5" single. Remember 325i's use twin 1 7/8" exhaust.

Comment

Seriously 2 1/4" is whats on my dad's M10 car and it has great low end torque (relative to m10s). You need at least 2.5". 3" isn't hurting anything.
      --Will

Comment

Curious why there's a problem with a 3" exhaust. It's what I'm running on my other car.
        The Great Big M20 Timing Belt DIY

Some good information I've found online (no affiliation):
        Turbo Tech (Garrett)
        Four-cycle information and cam properties for beginners (ISKY Racing Cams)

Comment

i just switched back to 2 1/4 and the 3in from axle back. i can definitely feel more torque now. i'm guessing more back pressure?? But i like it a lot better now
          Originally posted by fronton
          He must have been staring right the pole, all the way into it. Happens to me playing mariokart every time.
          sigpic
          1982 F250 Built 351W-sold
          1994 325i-sold
          1987 325es-sold
          1991 318i Slicktop- work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by MattTHEe30GURU View Post
            i just switched back to 2 1/4 and the 3in from axle back. i can definitely feel more torque now. i'm guessing more back pressure?? But i like it a lot better now
            "Back pressure" is not a positive thing; velocity can be, though.

Feeling "more torque" can also be caused by a greater DIFFERENCE in torque - e.g. midrange feels better because you have higher velocity (due to smaller pipe diameter) at 4500 RPM and also feels stronger because you're making less top end (because the decreased diameter leads to restriction as flow increases), so in the end you make more midrange COMPARED to your topend than you did before, but less power overall. I'm not saying this is what is happening, just food for thought.

I don't see the change making a HUGE difference, given many 2.0L 4 cyls make power with 3" exhausts. The header is responsible for the distribution of exhaust pulses, anything after is just a restriction - exhaust diameter is just a tool for managing that restriction (maintaining velocity vs. plugging). I don't see the M20, with .5L more displacement, requiring a smaller diameter exhaust (than the 2.0L motors) to maintain exhaust velocity.
            The Great Big M20 Timing Belt DIY

Some good information I've found online (no affiliation):
            Turbo Tech (Garrett)
            Four-cycle information and cam properties for beginners (ISKY Racing Cams)

Comment

I also added a universal muffler right before the axle then after that 3in into the thrush muffler 3in out
              Originally posted by fronton
              He must have been staring right the pole, all the way into it. Happens to me playing mariokart every time.
              sigpic
              1982 F250 Built 351W-sold
              1994 325i-sold
              1987 325es-sold
              1991 318i Slicktop- work in progress

Comment

Working...
              X