Quietest Single M30 Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quietest Single M30 Setup

I have something like this in mind. Ideally the left bank will be as OEM sounding as possible. Goals are quiet, deep, rasp & drone free. Please feel free to leave comments regarding the proposed setup. I wasn't sure about 2.5" vs. 3" tubing for the 3.5L engine. I know both are used on this forum. I also have no idea about space requirements, this is just the first thing that came to mind after a morning of research. Open to other brands like Vibrant Performance, Hooker Aerochambers, etc. Right pipe is for when the shit hits the wall :D

Also received inspiration from nando's build and fronton's posts in the recent exhaust thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250273 (see post 10)

I have never liked the sound of Dynomax mufflers. My vote would be for Magnaflow.

Also, any gains you might get from those IE headers will be wiped out with a 2.5" system. The stock headers are more than enough for a stock engine anyway.

Comment

single 2.5 will be way too small. In fact, single 3" has less cross-section than dual 2.25". (28.3 vs. 31.8 sq.in.)

Are you planning to have some sort of switchy thing between the open and muffled pipes?
      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
        I have never liked the sound of Dynomax mufflers. My vote would be for Magnaflow.

Also, any gains you might get from those IE headers will be wiped out with a 2.5" system. The stock headers are more than enough for a stock engine anyway.
        Only thing that turns me off regarding magnaflow's is the rasp that all their mufflers seem to have in the top of the rev range.

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
          single 2.5 will be way too small. In fact, single 3" has less cross-section than dual 2.25". (28.3 vs. 31.8 sq.in.)

Are you planning to have some sort of switchy thing between the open and muffled pipes?
          Good to know, I will plan on a 3" system then as of now. And yes the cutout will be electrically operated.

Comment

Originally posted by sbeckman7 View Post
            Only thing that turns me off regarding magnaflow's is the rasp that all their mufflers seem to have in the top of the rev range.
            Magnaflow rasp/drone can be taken out with a vibrant ultra-quiet resonator

Comment

Originally posted by fronton View Post
              Magnaflow rasp/drone can be taken out with a vibrant ultra-quiet resonator
              Yeah I saw that you noted that. So would everyone recommend a Y to magnaflow cat, followed by a 3" vibrant ultra-quiet resonator and then a 3" Magnaflow muffler?

Comment

Yes? No?

Comment

Originally posted by sbeckman7 View Post
                  Yeah I saw that you noted that. So would everyone recommend a Y to magnaflow cat, followed by a 3" vibrant ultra-quiet resonator and then a 3" Magnaflow muffler?
                  I like stealth, not attention. This is my exact setup which I find at the upper end of acceptable exhaust noise. Your cruising rpms will greatly determine how enjoyable it is as a daily so if you have a 3.73 or higher diff, you may want a quieter exhaust than magnaflow. This set up will certainly not sound "oem". You need an oem muffler to help you there. Magnaflow is all about magnaflow sound, not emulating stock. Whatever you end up doing though, if it is too loud or drones, throwing a ultra quiet vibrant resonator should solve it.

Comment

Working...
                  X