Can't get exhaust off - Thanks Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get exhaust off - Thanks Rust

So I'm trying to take off my exhaust so I try to unbolt the U-bolt style clamp, but with the car being so low, the ends of the bolts are scraped. Add to that all the rust and the socket isn't gripping, even with some WD40 and PB Blaster. Tried with a regular ratchet and then an impact. I had to cut the clamps so I did the 2 clamps closer to the cat.

Got the muffler out of the hangers and the rubber hanger was half dead already so I just ripped it off. Now the POS won't slide out. I decided to try and undo the bolts at the flanges, catback. The bolts are good, but not the nuts. Rusted out. Add to that the fact that some idiot installed them straight, I don't have much access to the top nuts, so no way I can grind those either. Impact and ratchet won't fit either because of the angle they're at + limited access.

Now what do I do? I can't just cut the exhaust, it's still very good. I'll have to replace all 4 U clamps anyway, so what if I were to cut the bigger pipe that's between the down tube and the cat? Someone mentioned some sort of puller/strap that you can attach and then you hit it with a hammer to pull it out but I can't believe taking an exhaust off is so freaking hard. I had the guibo and central support bearing changed no more than 6 months ago, along with other things, so how did the shop do it and only charge me 2 hours total for everything that I had done? I spend at least an hour on that today so there has to be a way of taking it out properly.

Thanks r3v

Can't get exhaust off

there is always the hooker "twist action" with lots of astro glide. that usually gets me off. sometimes the rusty trombone is good. oh, wait.....muffler..... wrong forum....nvm.....
    Last edited by flyboyx; 09-01-2013, 08:14 PM.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
      there is always the hooker "twist action" with lots of astro glide. that usually gets me off. sometimes the rusty trombone is good. oh, wait.....muffler..... wrong forum....nvm.....
      I knew I'd learn a lot on r3v... Thanks for sharing your tips. But you're right, exhaust as in muffler.

Comment

PB Blaster is your friend.
        1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
        1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
        bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

My midpipe to catback connection bolts were all rusted. Same situation with sockets not working. Ended up drilling holes into the nuts until they could be pulled off. Bought a new set from Ace for cheap
          sigpic
          '98 Mustang GT Pacific Green
          '03 Mustang Mach 1 Azure Blue
          '04 4Runner Titanium Silver
          '90 325is Schwarz
          Mods:
          Bilstein/H&R Sports, Euro Smileys, Magnaflow hi-flow cat, homemade catback, 5-speed swap

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyethirty View Post
            My midpipe to catback connection bolts were all rusted. Same situation with sockets not working. Ended up drilling holes into the nuts until they could be pulled off. Bought a new set from Ace for cheap
            This is a great solution.

Comment

Working...
            X