No announcement yet.

flowmaster on a 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't recall where i was reading it, i can't find much on Google anymore, but there was this article i did read awhile back that i found.

According to the flowbench, two of the best flowing units you can buy are the Walker Dyno Max and the Cyclone Sonic. They even slightly out flow the straight through designs from HKS and GReddy BL series. Amongst the worst, are the Thrush Turbo and Flow Master mufflers. We'll flow some of the newer mufflers as they become available at our local Chief auto.

Alot of stock type mufflers are turbo style, i do believe the stock mufflers on our cars are turbo style judging by looking in the inlet and outlets, even the sound.

Comment

I see where you are comming from now. I've had flowmasters,magnaflows,dyno max,thrush turbos,thrush glasspacks on my cars over the years. I've liked the standard 40 on them 70 dodge dart 360, 67 dodge coronet 273 them replaced with 360 sixpack, 70 amc amx 390 then replaced with 401, that muffler flowed really good on those cars. But that was the standard 40 muffler, the 40 series delta looks like it has way more blaffles in it and would flow less and the 50 series 3 chamber has alot of baffles in it and looks really restrictive. The thrush turbos was just that a turbo muffler that had a good deep stock sound to them. I had them on a 70 dodge dart with a 318, and a 72 nova ss 350. The dyno max pretty much fell in there with the thrush turbos, but it seemed like it had a little more flow and had a nice deep tone, they was on a 72 dodge demon 340 sixpack. The stock muffler on my car was no turbo design it was a big heavy restricktive muffler ,but i have a E so thats proboply why. I would only stick flowmasters on v8 cars and they would be the standard 40's, or the single chamberd race muffler. Here is the dyno max race muffler that i got for my vega it has no restiction to it, 3 inch in 3 inch out.

1992 BMW 325iC
      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Reaktionär View Post
        I see where you are comming from now. I've had flowmasters,magnaflows,dyno max,thrush turbos,thrush glasspacks on my cars over the years. I've liked the standard 40 on them 70 dodge dart 360, 67 dodge coronet 273 them replaced with 360 sixpack, 70 amc amx 390 then replaced with 401, that muffler flowed really good on those cars. But that was the standard 40 muffler, the 40 series delta looks like it has way more blaffles in it and would flow less and the 50 series 3 chamber has alot of baffles in it and looks really restrictive. The thrush turbos was just that a turbo muffler that had a good deep stock sound to them. I had them on a 70 dodge dart with a 318, and a 72 nova ss 350. The dyno max pretty much fell in there with the thrush turbos, but it seemed like it had a little more flow and had a nice deep tone, they was on a 72 dodge demon 340 sixpack. The stock muffler on my car was no turbo design it was a big heavy restricktive muffler ,but i have a E so thats proboply why. I would only stick flowmasters on v8 cars and they would be the standard 40's, or the single chamberd race muffler. Here is the dyno max race muffler that i got for my vega it has no restiction to it, 3 inch in 3 inch out.

Basically a glasspack, i'm running similar mufflers on my 325is.

Comment

Originally posted by O 16581 72452 5 View Post
          Basically a glasspack, i'm running similar mufflers on my 325is.

Yes and no, glasspacks have more packing. This one has a 2-4dbA reduction compared to a staight pipe:twisted: . I also have glasspacks on my 325e with no cats.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Driven three owned two

the m42 even with stock exhuast, sounds like a bunch of angry bee's (rice) maybe but at that point its not even on purpose, the difference, I think between out m42's and a Honda rice noise is how crisp ours is. The dam thing sounds like that all the time, I loved the sound of my m20 but it wasn't as crispy or as responsive as my m42, not to cap on it, and i speak for myself my m20 was beat. But anyways I like it. and i think any muffler with packing like magnaflow or something along those lines will give that NASTY Phuckin Honda bee noise! so metal chamber is probably the best bet, and i think it sounds hard.

i like my flowmasters, actually anything with 6 walls and inlet and an outlet. will do. if its to loud, your to old....
            second attempt

first attmept

Its like seriously driving a phuckin wood planer on Steroids, im not to proud of it
            dont worry. For a little while i couldn't afford all the plumbing so i put the header on then straight to a two chamber and the DTMS down at the ground (bad idea) that was like driving.....i cant even explain it.
            Last edited by Tree18is; 01-11-2007, 02:58 PM. Reason: had to add my more nutted first attempt, and it turns out i cant spell "exuast" : P

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Reaktionär View Post
              Yes and no, glasspacks have more packing. This one has a 2-4dbA reduction compared to a staight pipe:twisted: . I also have glasspacks on my 325e with no cats.
              you think if i put that on my rotary it will make it quieter or louder? the rotary guys think it will make it louder than it is.. but how can it, its long, its got packing and thats it! but eventually it will wear out. but ohh well.
              I under stand how the mufflers might suck at flow (the flowmasters) the cutaway clearly shows it to anyone with a brain on the right track. but anyways, ohh and is the 318is with or without cat?
              the one that started all of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tree18is View Post
                you think if i put that on my rotary it will make it quieter or louder? the rotary guys think it will make it louder than it is.. but how can it, its long, its got packing and thats it! but eventually it will wear out. but ohh well.
                I under stand how the mufflers might suck at flow (the flowmasters) the cutaway clearly shows it to anyone with a brain on the right track. but anyways, ohh and is the 318is with or without cat?
                the one that started all of this.

I think that it will be louder (the one in my hand in the pic.) It's ment for drag cars that run on tracks where mufflers are required.
                Last edited by JasonC; 01-11-2007, 09:03 PM. Reason: miss spellings

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

true, i might just throw another turbo muffler on it like in the middle, the silencer's for those cars arr not cheap, and there gold even if there used..

Comment

Sounds pretty good. My dynomax is getting pretty loud now that I have about 10k on it, but I think it might be my center section rusting out instead. Who knows. I have to have it inspected when it comes out of storage in March so well see then.
                    Back to my roots

Comment

Working...
                    X