Alright, time to open up my exhaust.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, time to open up my exhaust.

We do emissions testing here every 2 years, and my car just passed for the last time. Well, it has 372k on the stock cat, and I was literally on the limits. For the next test, I will install a new cat.

Right now I have IE shorty headers, and everything else in the exhaust is stock. The cat as mentioned has 372k, and everything behind it is a few years old OEM. What should I start removing/gutting first, the cat or the resonator? I guess my question is, when a catalytic converter starts going bad, does it flow better than new or worse? And what kind of sound difference does removing each provide?

As a side note, with the M30 AFM, MarkD software, and IE headers, the car makes an absolutely intoxicating sound above 6000rpm, especially closer to 7000.

Jay

Okay, so I'm bored at work and started searching. Seems the stock resonator/muffler combo isn't robbing any power, but an old cat does. This correct?

Also, a good idea seems to be to remove the stock cat and put on twin glasspacks; this will free up power, but make the sound a lot more appealing / not as aggrivating. This correct?

Comment

glasspacks are awsome, that is all
      ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
        Okay, so I'm bored at work and started searching. Seems the stock resonator/muffler combo isn't robbing any power, but an old cat does. This correct?

Also, a good idea seems to be to remove the stock cat and put on twin glasspacks; this will free up power, but make the sound a lot more appealing / not as aggrivating. This correct?
        Same Here Bored to death @ work.
        i dont think ull pass emission with the glass packs,
        but it sure will sound awesome.

they are lke 60$ for 2 of them.

www.stancefactory.com

Comment

Yeah, emissions aren't my concern. If I even have the same car (let alone same motor and exhaust) 2 years from now I'll be surprised.

$60 for 2 eh? Funny shit man, I was going to call you and ask if you can hook it up. Is that for Cherry Bombs or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
            Yeah, emissions aren't my concern. If I even have the same car (let alone same motor and exhaust) 2 years from now I'll be surprised.

$60 for 2 eh? Funny shit man, I was going to call you and ask if you can hook it up. Is that for Cherry Bombs or what?
            yep they are made by Cherry Bombs.

www.stancefactory.com

Comment

A bad cat will flow worse than a newer one.
              Originally posted by cabriodster87
              "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
              Originally posted by Kershaw
              i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you, looking to open up my exhaust. But I want to run a good custom setup. I copped a IE SS catback system for my other E30 and wasn't too impressed. I want to focus on finding a muffler that sounds awesome mated to our unique straight six motors, the piping I will leave to my buddy to worry about. Just the muffler is my main focus.

I can't seem to find a working link on what the ricer cans sound like on our motors. I watched a couple of Eriks videos, but all I hear is tires screeching. I'm open to any type of can, as long as I can get a good throaty sound out of it. A little rumble is nice, like how VR6s sound, but I understand that isn't all that feasible.
                  Claus Luthe is my hero.

Comment

i think i may replace my cat with some glass packs aswell as i never have to do emissions ever again... gotta love the south, but i think i wanna get headers before i do anything
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Silversleeper: I've got a magnaflow muffler on a custom 2.5in catback if you want to hear it in person. There's a meet this saturday at Arundel mills (see bf.c's MAR board) that I'll be at if it's convenient. You only have a week though, as next week I'll be installing my headers and a high flow cat, so it'll sound totally different.

Pm me and we can work out details.
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

It's almost impossible to make an M20 sound bad. I've heard a Ractive muffler sound incredible on an eta (where's BMXer when I need him...).

Comment

Originally posted by e30_325es View Post
                          Silversleeper: I've got a magnaflow muffler on a custom 2.5in catback if you want to hear it in person.
                          God your car sounded good! I still am tempted to listen to a few other setups (there are not many e30s around here though) but I think I'm 80% settled on the Magnaflow. I wish I could hear a B&B Triflow though... $750 shipped for supposedly the best sounding exhaust ain't half bad.
                          Claus Luthe is my hero.

Comment

Triflow does sound very good, but mine cost $600 less and I have piping left over.

Comment

vibrant street power mufflers sound awesome and u can grab one for under 200, all u need to do is fab a 2-1 y and ur set:up:
                              Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Comment

Working...
                              X