e36 Ansa muffler - sound and gains??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e36 Ansa muffler - sound and gains??

Was up at the PO's place last night and he showed me the exhaust that was on the car when he picked it up. Turns out the PPO had fitted an Ansa e36 exhaust on the rear section of the car.

Has anyone done this and are there any gains? Also how about increase in noise?

I have a feeling that to get back to my dyno sheet's stated 178whp I'm going to need to open up the exhaust again. PO took off the Ansa and installed a stock IS rear muffler. I want the flow & performance but I also want it to be as quiet as stock.

Thanks for any thoughts, shared experiences and advice.

TJW

Did you dyno the car yet? I doubt an exhaust will really net you any more than a handful of hp, especially if you retain the E30 center section.

I don't think switching to an Ansa is gonna free up much of anything. It barely does anything for an E36, and it is prone to rusting.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
      Did you dyno the car yet? I doubt an exhaust will really net you any more than a handful of hp, especially if you retain the E30 center section.

I don't think switching to an Ansa is gonna free up much of anything. It barely does anything for an E36, and it is prone to rusting.
      It's free that's why I ask. I have not dyno'd the car yet. Just got it running correctly and I've been in Italy for the last week +. I'll get it dyno'd sooner or later. Its running well but not the best. It still stumbles a little when its cold. It also idles low and rough. I'm almost positive it's got a cam in it the way the eccentrics are worn but i'm not sure. I'm going to measure the lobes and post the info... I need to take off the intake and mess with some wires underneath. The guy that "fixed" the car used crimp wires and fuses, etc where the 6-pin plug is that gets corroded. I need to get in there and solder, etc. Once it's done right and running properly I'll get it up on a dyno again.

Do you know anywhere around the RI/MA/NH/VT area that has a dyno? How much and is there a shop that knows about BMW's? Does Turner have one?

Thanks,
      TJW

Comment

The cheapest dyno I know of is in Fall River, MA; $60 for unlimited runs for one hour on a DynoJet:

Also, some people on bimmerforums met up at this place in Seekonk, MA, called Dez Racing. I think the normal rate is around $75 for 3 pulls on a DynoJet.

Dent Sport Garage in Norwood has a nice brand new Dyno Dynamics dyno, and they're very knowledgeable about BMWs. They have a website at www.dentsport.com. I believe it is $100 for 3 pulls with AFR.

Comment

I grew up the next town over from Seekonk so thank you very much!!

My problem is that I need help getting the car dialed in before I just throw it on the dyno and see what comes up. It still isn't running properly so why waste the time/money when I know it's not running right...

I'd pay top dollar for someone to tune and/or educate me on these motors & ignition setups. I know they are simple - and my car runs... but truly dialing in an unknown motor & setup is hard. Would be nice for someone who has been all over these things for years to be able to show me how to tune it then do a few pulls.

Comment

This guy at Dent Sport Garage, Matt (if I recall correctly), used to own a slew of 325iXs, and now owns an E30M50. He does the dyno tuning and software programming at DSG. I sold him a 506 DME a few months back and he was telling me about a few of their services that they'd be adding. So, maybe if you talk to him, he'd be able to help you out.

Comment

Working...
            X