Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ARP Headstuds on M50 block feels rubbery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARP Headstuds on M50 block feels rubbery?

I am building another engine using ARP Headstuds with athena cutring headgasket. I followed the directions on the instructions that ARP provided. I used the provided lube as instructed and I torqued according to the instructions. The M50 block is cleaned and inspected for flatness, and the head was resurfaced. and Yes, the bolt holes were cleaned, and I used a thread chaser to make sure it is really clean, I can run a bolt with my hand through it without any interruptions, and I made sure no liquids was left inside prior to assembly. As I was torqueing, the first and second stages went fine until the last stage when I was reaching 85lbs. Four of the bolts did read 85lbs but feels slightly rubbery and not a solid stop like the others? It feels like the nut can't go any further. I did loosen up one of the nut and took out the stud to look down the hole for any debris, and it was clean. I then cleaned the stud, washer, and the nut and reassemble and it's doing the exact same thing.

I bought this engine a few years ago from a known running car. The outside of the block looks really good, that is why I decided to use this block. I am thinking that i might have an internal crack in the bolt holes? Let me know what you guys think, especially those that have more experiences with a build like this. I do have 2 more blocks sitting in my garage that I can use if this block is bad.

Thanks!!!

Alright got it solved!!!! Should've come across this before installing the head bolts. But this is good information to know!

Modern engines with aluminum engine blocks can be susceptible to damaged fastener threads, but there's an easy fix. Read the details inside!

Comment

good read, thanks for posting the follow-up

Comment

Working...
      X