Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep "e" head for now or swap for "i" on my eta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep "e" head for now or swap for "i" on my eta?

I just picked up a pretty rough '85 325e with plans to go FI. I'm planning on swapping the i head in the future BUT I was given a turbo that I believe came frome a Volvo. It's a garret T3 and I believe it is the common .42/.48 AR "Super 60". This seems to be a very small turbo for an M20 and would probably drop boost like mad at high revs... so, should I just keep the eta head for now and boost it as is? I will build the car with a larger turbo in mind, but as this is my first turbo build, I'd prefer to get it running with the small one first.

Pics of the turbo

1997 540i/6 - stock
    1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
    1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

I say go for it! Just do a little research on the turbo you have first. Obviously make sure it is in good working order. Also does it have a T3 mounting flange?
    If you have some knowledge of how a turbo setup works and what is all needed for it to work then you should have some fun.
    That turbo would most definetly run out of steam at any sort of high rpm on a m20, but would probally make usable power lugging around town.
    Design your setup to be easily adapted over to a bigger turbo. That way you can get all the basics figured out, have some fun with the stock head, and switch it up when your ready.
    Most people will tell you to do it right the first time, but theres nothing wrong with boosting the eta with a stock head. It will never make tons of power but it will be fun.

Comment

Working...
    X