m20 "e"Rods & "i" pistons turbo build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m20 "e"Rods & "i" pistons turbo build?

Hey guys, I am in the middle of doing a m20 turbo build and I have decided to go with the e bottom end and i head. I am also gonna use the e rods and i pistons because of the low compression which is perfect for boost. My question is since I am going to keep my rods and pistons stock is there any recommendations that I can do to strengthen these parts so that they can last a long time and be stronger? I will appreciate any1's opinions, thanx.

build it stock..., o-rings will be perfect to fit stock head gasket, thats all... im running 10psi, ive already open the engine twice, and is perfect...
    e30 325i 1988 track toy
    e30 M3 1989 M106 motronic swap (in process)
    e36 M3 1995 S50B30 turbo
    e38 750il M73N
    Toyota Tundra 2UZFE (workshop car)

BMV Motorsports Guatemala

Comment

Do u know what websites r best to find these o rings, thanx.

Comment

Btw I really want to see your face when your valves contact your pistons. You cant use 2.5l domed pistons on a 2.7l bottom end.

Comment

Originally posted by -limp- View Post
          Btw I really want to see your face when your valves contact your pistons. You cant use 2.5l domed pistons on a 2.7l bottom end.
          That's what I was lead to believe. I was going to use a 2.7 stock bottom with 2.7 pistons.
          84 325e Burgundrot S52 M Tech 1.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250109

Comment

Originally posted by -limp- View Post

Its been done. I pistons are "shorter" then e pistons.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
            My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Odd thought..

You know, many years ago, I bought a Z1, sight unseen in CA, flew there, drove it home after extensive service at Bill Arnold's shop.

Picked up off his shelf a brand new (Powerplant?) unused M20 twin turbo header. Thought to myself, hey, the Z1 has an M20, who knows?

Any one want to buy it?

Could make for a very, very slick installation for someone who wants to do this....

Alex.

(came across this thread by accident to be honest, had not set out to offer this for sale, its been collecting dust in my basement for years)
              sigpic
              Trying to make the world a better place, 6 TB at a time.
              http://abloriginalparts.com/

Comment

pics?

www.gecoils.com
                My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

RE: quickest way to post them..

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

I'm already at work, not sure I can easily transfer these images from here... not on a thumb drive.
                  sigpic
                  Trying to make the world a better place, 6 TB at a time.
                  http://abloriginalparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by akinswonder View Post
                    Hey guys, I am in the middle of doing a m20 turbo build and I have decided to go with the e bottom end and i head. I am also gonna use the e rods and i pistons because of the low compression which is perfect for boost. My question is since I am going to keep my rods and pistons stock is there any recommendations that I can do to strengthen these parts so that they can last a long time and be stronger? I will appreciate any1's opinions, thanx.
                    You can get the rods shot-peened, but you'll want to keep the ETA pistons. ETA pistons with an "I" head will give you 8.3:1 compression ratio, which is already quite low and good for a ton of boost.

Comment

Originally posted by lifeiskaos View Post
                      You can get the rods shot-peened, but you'll want to keep the ETA pistons. ETA pistons with an "I" head will give you 8.3:1 compression ratio, which is already quite low and good for a ton of boost.

Thanx, this is wut I wuz looking 4.

Comment

Working...
                      X