Anyone turbo an M20B27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone turbo an M20B27

I had a '96 328is turbo a few years ago. I was doing a pretty extensive (expensive) re-build on it and ran low on money, and then had a kid so i recently parted it out. I picked up an '86 325e 2 months ago and was wondering if anyone out there has put a turbo on one. Nothing crazy, just a few psi. I bought a Jeep after getting rid of the 328 and after driving that the 325e is nice to drive, but its feeling slow already.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

from what I hear, it's not worth it. for less money you can do an m50, or for a lil more, s50, swap and you'll have something more reliable and more efficient.

Comment

Isn't the B27 a good candidate for FI with an i head? If I'm not mistaken doesn't hit hit 2.8l displacement and 8.4 or 8.5:1 compression? I doubt there's anything wrong with the block/pistons of the B27 that it'd suck for forced induction...

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post
        Isn't the B27 a good candidate for FI with an i head? If I'm not mistaken doesn't hit hit 2.8l displacement and 8.4 or 8.5:1 compression? I doubt there's anything wrong with the block/pistons of the B27 that it'd suck for forced induction...
        the reason a stock m20b27 sucks for FI is the 4500 rev imit.
        do the 'i' head swap, then FI it, it works
        sigpic
        Originally posted by e30hijinks
        I move faster than "the speed of light." I'm always connected to my Blackberry and am ready to purchase at a moment's notice. I do not play games

Comment

To answer your question yes people turbo a b27 e30tech.com has mass amount of information about forced induction indetail from what turbo, exhaust, intercooler, to how to reinforce the block and I recomend that if you haven't already you should start there. When turbochargin a m20b27 it is most common to put a I head on the E block. This combo gives you more displacemeant (2.8L) and lower compression which is ideal for FI. The M20 is a strong engine and most parts will be able to handle a lot of horsepower. Your concerns are the head gasket and water chanels. It is common to weld and redrill the water chanels (so that the gasket dosent get pushed into them) and o ring the head or the block. This would suficiently strengthen your engine but like I said I'm no expert and I would go do your research at e30tech.com

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. This was helpful. I am thinking I need to do the HG anyway and while Im there making sure everything else is straight whether i go turbo or not. Is there any advantage to doing an "i" head on an "e" block without FI?

Comment

"jumping in"

So about how much is a "i" head plus turbo run? Versus a m50 swap?
              1990 325is
              m52b28
              3.73lsd
              g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

old thread, but I boosted mine with the factory e head. It's worth it... I'm still going to the 885 head, but the car is a great DD with the original head. It will hold 5500 rpms from the factory too, so don't discount it because of the original 4700 rpms rev limit.
                1997 540i/6 - stock
                1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
                1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

so when you drop the i head on the e block wats the rev limit?
                  "I came into this world, not chiefly to make this a good place to live in, but to live in it, be it good or bad" -Henry Thoreau-
                  1991 318is - the cruiser
                  1989 325i - the rats nest

Comment

same as an i. I'm planning on running 7000-7200. The head is the limiting factor, not the bottom end.
                    1997 540i/6 - stock
                    1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
                    1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrix2k View Post
                      old thread, but I boosted mine with the factory e head. It's worth it... I'm still going to the 885 head, but the car is a great DD with the original head. It will hold 5500 rpms from the factory too, so don't discount it because of the original 4700 rpms rev limit.
                      How does it compare to your E39, acceleration wise?

Comment

it's very hard to compare the two. I'll go with my gut feeling first - when I first bought the 325e, it felt dog slow compared to my e39. Anytime my e39 would begin to feel slow, I could drive the e30, get back in my e39 and feel like I was in a rocket ship. After boosting the eta, the e39 felt kind of slow to me. As I drove the e39 more, I began to feel differently because the e39 still has more low-end torque and it also revs further making comparisons rather difficult. Keep in mind that the e30 runs essentially NA until boost starts to kick in.

There's also a few other notes here:
                        -the etas benefit from a decent tune NA, so just the move to megasquirt helped
                        -I'm only running 6 lbs of boost until I upgrade my fuel system
                        -I'm not running an intercooler yet which will make a huge difference in performance
                        -The e30 is a lot more fun to drive
                        1997 540i/6 - stock

Comment

to turbo the 325 e what did you need to turbo it
                          cause your using the stock head and no intercooler ?
                          cause i just want to put a turbo with like low psi like 5 or 6lbs of boost

Comment

Originally posted by euro760 View Post
                            to turbo the 325 e what did you need to turbo it
                            cause your using the stock head and no intercooler ?
                            cause i just want to put a turbo with like low psi like 5 or 6lbs of boost
                            for that low of boost, you need the turbo parts + a tune or rrfpr.
                            1997 540i/6 - stock

Comment

what did you use o turbo your m20..new to the whole turboing a car
                              do i need to buy a turbo kit or can i buy turbo headers a turbo then a oil feed pipe oil drain pipe boost gauge ..i dontthink i need a inner cooler right? since you didnt need it???

Comment

Working...
                              X