MegaSquirt/headgasket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MegaSquirt/headgasket question

On diyautotune.com they offer the MegaSquirt-I Programmable EFI System PCB3.0 - Assembled Unit.
    Then they offer MegaSquirt-II EMS System - SMD PCB3.57 - Assembled Unit.

I was just woundering which one would be the easier rout to go? I mean just to go with a EFI system or EMS when thinking about wiring and tunning. I am not a big fan of wiring so the least is the best. As far as these assembled units go has anyone ever used these units? Im running 8-10psi on 60k stock m20b25 with bigger injectors(of course).

Also i have been reading lots about running stock head gasket with arp studs, which was what i was planning on doing, but what is the deal with MLS headgaskets besides lowering compression? Do you have to weld the water jacket grooves to be on the safe side?

Sorry so many questions just read so much and get two diffrent sides on somethings (time to turn to oppinion).
    What BMW means to me: Breaks My Wallet

MS2...

MLS gaskets are bullet proof.... The sealing may not be.... make sure that you have a specific roughness on the head before installing with an MLS
    [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
    Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

Originally posted by fiftytakedowns View Post
      MS2...

MLS gaskets are bullet proof.... The sealing may not be.... make sure that you have a specific roughness on the head before installing with an MLS
      thanks for the info, and the assembled kit from diyautotune do you know if there any good. Is it better to get the unassembled kit?

Comment

that means you have to assemble it (solder the components on)....takes about 4-5 hours on a lax day

diy is very good with what they do.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
        PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

if you are going to run a stock headgasket with ARP studs, do some o-rings on the engine block. I'm running this setup on two of my engines, and they hold plenty of power. 300whp on one, 310whp on the other. Seals like stock, cause it's...well stock.

MLS has to have a very specific head/deck finish (very fine Ra). I've seen people do them without it and it holds 10psi all day, but I haven't seen many over that psi limit. Probably good reason for that.

And don't use a head gasket to lower compression...

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
          PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Originally posted by blueapplesoda View Post
            if you are going to run a stock headgasket with ARP studs, do some o-rings on the engine block. I'm running this setup on two of my engines, and they hold plenty of power. 300whp on one, 310whp on the other. Seals like stock, cause it's...well stock.

MLS has to have a very specific head/deck finish (very fine Ra). I've seen people do them without it and it holds 10psi all day, but I haven't seen many over that psi limit. Probably good reason for that.

And don't use a head gasket to lower compression...
            After thinking about it i decided to do stock and thanks for the info on doing o-rings. Also i couldnt find arp studs anywere and was woundering if raceware studs will work? I picked up an m20 with 59k and some change on it so now that i think bout it imma leave the rings in. obx makes an adaptor that bolts on to the stock manifold and then they make whole turbo manifolds just woundering what would be the better way to go?
            Last edited by 1990e30coupe; 09-08-2010, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X