head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head gasket

Just curious as to how much boost a stock head gasket on an s52 motor can handle? I am about to purchase a stage 1 supercharger and only plan on running like 8lbs of boost. Nothing crazy. It's only a weekend car. I just don't want to go through the hastle of replacing the head gasket. Thanks in advance.

You'll be fine, just get arp (or arp2000) head studs and you are golden. Preventing blown hg's on m/s5x type motors is all about preventing cylinder head lift with copper, MLS, or even stock.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
    PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

if you have the motor pulled and you are going to be replacing the studs, would it be beneficial to go with an MLS because you're already there or just stay stock?
      1989 E30 Zinnoberrot Vert 325i OBD1 S52 turbo;IP

Comment

Cometic MLS and ARP studs.

If you're going FI that is the best way to keep things together aside from o-ringing the head.
        sigpic
        Turbo Cabrio project: http://eurowerks.org/showthread.php?t=19677

Comment

Originally posted by JTapper View Post
          Cometic MLS and ARP studs.

If you're going FI that is the best way to keep things together aside from o-ringing the head.
          Do most guys O-ring the head or the block? I thought it was usually the block that got it.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
            Do most guys O-ring the head or the block? I thought it was usually the block that got it.
            Traditionally the block I'm told, within the tuner circle the head seems to be more common... I think the head o-ringing started with cast block/al heads and their different expansion rates etc. My head is o-ringed, not my block, for this very reasoning.

Comment

I've done two blocks with no problems so far.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
              PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Working...
              X