Couple of turbo questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple of turbo questions

I'm planning a mild setup for my first step into forced induction. I want to do a FMU set up since I don't have another vehicle to be able to have alot of down time or tons of cash to go with MS and tune it.

I was wondering how people have been retarding the timing or if it will be ok on stock timing if I just run stock boost. Also what FMU is best to use?

Re: Couple of turbo questions

Originally posted by Avus_325is
    I was wondering how people have been retarding the timing or if it will be ok on stock timing if I just run stock boost.
    From small block street cruisers to 10000 horsepower top fuel dragsters, MSD's ignition systems has been the industry leader for over 40 years. MSD continues to push the envelope with cutting-edge ignition technology as well as intake manifolds and EFI systems.

IIRC Todd at TCD (turbochargingdynamics.com) has a chip for slightly larger injectors, and it retards the timing at higher rpms.

Also what FMU is best to use?
    Find Out What Your Vehicle Wants From You We find, research, lab-test, and publish reviews on Auto products available commercially in the market. This makes it a lot easier for buyers to choose a product as per his/her needs. FIND OUT MORE Recently Reviewed Auto gear 5 BEST PORTABLE AIR COMPRESSOR FOR TRUCK TIRE There … Home Read More »

Comment

I'm planning a mild setup for my first step into forced induction. I want to do a FMU set up since I don't have another vehicle to be able to have alot of down time or tons of cash to go with MS and tune it.

I was wondering how people have been retarding the timing or if it will be ok on stock timing if I just run stock boost. Also what FMU is best to use?
      If you stick to a FMU, small air to air intercooler setup, and NOT anything over 8psi of boost, you will be ok with your stock timing by a fairly safe margin. I do not know what you mean by stock boost though. If you want the ultimate mild setup, with durability and reliability in mind, stick to 5.5 psi, with a T3/T4 hybrid, air to air intercooler, stock injectors, stock ecu with stock chip, and timing(but use 92+ octane nevertheless), and you will be ready to go with 230-235 flywheel hp and 235-240 ft pounds of torque. All this bearing in mind of course that your engine was well tuned before the turbo install. As for best fmu, I'd go with a BEGI/Cartech rising rate fuel pressure regulator. The BEGI is the same unit as the Cartech one, both having been designed by Corky Bell. I may be selling mine in a few weeks should you be interested in a cheaper alternative. I'm selling mine because I'm going with stand alone engine management.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwdude
        If you stick to a FMU, small air to air intercooler setup, and NOT anything over 8psi of boost, you will be ok with your stock timing by a fairly safe margin. I do not know what you mean by stock boost though. If you want the ultimate mild setup, with durability and reliability in mind, stick to 5.5 psi, with a T3/T4 hybrid, air to air intercooler, stock injectors, stock ecu with stock chip, and timing(but use 92+ octane nevertheless), and you will be ready to go with 230-235 flywheel hp and 235-240 ft pounds of torque. All this bearing in mind of course that your engine was well tuned before the turbo install. As for best fmu, I'd go with a BEGI/Cartech rising rate fuel pressure regulator. The BEGI is the same unit as the Cartech one, both having been designed by Corky Bell. I may be selling mine in a few weeks should you be interested in a cheaper alternative. I'm selling mine because I'm going with stand alone engine management.
        I agree with everything said here except the turbo. I would suggest a T3 60 or super 60 trim for 5-8psi. no need for the hybrid for such a low boost application. But some may argue..5.5psi for an m20 will stick you right in the fat of the super60 compressor curves..

Comment

Yea i've been reading alot more lately and have decided to stick with stock timing for now. I am going to go with a bigger injectors though, since I've heard for years that the stock ones lean out at around 200 hp. I actually just picked up a small front mount from a buddy of mine that was running it on his 2.0L 16v turbo VW. It's basically generic with different end tanks. I also got a slightly used T3 60 trim for 100 bucks. No shaft play, spins freely, from a reputable VW tuning shop in Baltimore. I'm still not sure about running various lines but I figured at these prices why not, I'll need them eventually.

Comment

Yea i've been reading alot more lately and have decided to stick with stock timing for now. I am going to go with a bigger injectors though, since I've heard for years that the stock ones lean out at around 200 hp. I actually just picked up a small front mount from a buddy of mine that was running it on his 2.0L 16v turbo VW. It's basically generic with different end tanks. I also got a slightly used T3 60 trim for 100 bucks. No shaft play, spins freely, from a reputable VW tuning shop in Baltimore. I'm still not sure about running various lines but I figured at these prices why not, I'll need them eventually.
            But they shouldn't lean out with a FMU. What you heard was for NA engines with no FMU.

Comment

The stock injectors are way too small and 5.5psi will barely overcome the exhaust restriction. Take it from a guy who has a turbo e30, and has in the past used an FMU.

Your best bet IS to go for the megasquirt.. I use it and it rocks. I've been using stock timing with 16psi and 94octane with no problems... but I have a perfect fuel curve with MS.

I would say run 10psi at least to get some usable power out of the motor.
              24lb injectors and an 8:1 or 10:1 FMU will work. You don't need a chip.

Be sure to adjust the AFM so that the ECU does not "learn" the injectors.

MS Tuning - it isn't that hard. In fact there are base maps you can use that will work with your turbo and get you running right away.

Comment

What A/R size would you use on the super 60 .48 .63 .82
                Sold-87 325
                BBS RK Wheels
                H&R Cup Kit
                E30 ///M3 Light up knob
                Clutch Stop
                ///M Roadster FloorMats
                Jim C Chip

91 318is
                M50 Swap
                Headers