dumb BOV question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dumb BOV question

I have a ebay knockoff that came with the car but I see on the top it say soft and hard.Where should the setting be at 10psi?What exactly is the differences in the stting?Thanks
    sigpic

It depends on the spring in the bov.

Originally posted by Janderson
    you can have the keys to my hunk of 20+ year old West German steel when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

Comment

Tight enough to where you dont experience excessive compressor surge and not too loose to where you cant maintain boost.
      Past: 1987 325iS, Bilsteins - HR Sports

Present: 1999 M3, Koni Yellows - HR Sports - GC Camber Plates - UUC Swaybars - UUC SSK - AFE Intake - Stromung Catback

2009 Mazdaspeed3, Short Ram Intake - Turbo Inlet Pipe - 2nd cat Delete - Catback - Fuel Pump Internals - Cobb Accessport - Stratified E30 tune - 294/342 - SPC Camber Arms - CPE Rear Motor Mount

Comment

So a good middle setting?
        sigpic

Comment

Unless the PO said it needed to be adjusted I wouldnt mess with it. "A good middle setting" is a bit vague. Theres pretty much what you'd call a sweet spot depending on how much surge your willing to bare. If the bov is recircd that will be less of a problem.

Present: 1999 M3, Koni Yellows - HR Sports - GC Camber Plates - UUC Swaybars - UUC SSK - AFE Intake - Stromung Catback

2009 Mazdaspeed3, Short Ram Intake - Turbo Inlet Pipe - 2nd cat Delete - Catback - Fuel Pump Internals - Cobb Accessport - Stratified E30 tune - 294/342 - SPC Camber Arms - CPE Rear Motor Mount

Comment

adjust it so it doesn't open at idle.

ebay knock off of what?

Comment

Take the pipe off the car, cap off both ends, pump air into the system. Shove enough pressure into the pipe (with the BOV nipple hooked up) to the boost levels you want. If it leaks, tighten. Once it stops leaking, stop adjusting.

If it doesn't leak, and it's on it's softest setting, just do it till stuff doesn't surge when on the car.

If it's from ebay, it will probably always leak...

Comment

this may be a dumb question but when do know its surgeing
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

You'll hear it.

Look at some youtube vids.

Comment

It'll make a fluttering sound.

Originally posted by Janderson
                    you can have the keys to my hunk of 20+ year old West German steel when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by theox69 View Post
                      It'll make a fluttering sound.
                      All I hear is the wastegate fluttering. I'm a bit paranoid that I did not set it up soft enough and I can't hear the bov cause its inside the air box.
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Just watched a video. I'm fucked :(

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Sounds like a turkey...

Comment

The wastegate should not make a fluttering sound. What you are hearing is compressed air going back into the turbo causing it to spin the opposite direction. Most bov's flutter a little when you release the gas, no worries. If its surging at boost then your in trouble.

Comment

Working...
                            X