Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Supercharged

Hey guys, need some input.

I have an Eaton M62 I plan on using with my M42; I was originally going to do a setup very similar to DASC, with an intercooler.

RRFPR

40LB injectors

Secondary fuel pump, cylindrical in line pump where the fuel filter is currently located. (the Grassroots page said the car experienced a lean condition at around 3k, they fixed it with a secondary fuel pump)

Intercooler.

I'd monitor the setup with Oil pressure, temp, Wideband gauges, but is this setup truly viable? I'm sure DASC did their research on the kit, and I've heard nothing but praise for it.

Would it be smarter to just jump into the world of a standalone, that way I can have my own tunes, ditch the stupid AFM flapper, and not have to deal with an RRFPR?

Appreciate the input and opinions!

Ian

Sounds like a fun setup. Definitely add a boost gauge to your list of monitoring tools, haha. And on an M42, what with no knock sensors, I think an intercooler is a must. Boost ups the intake temps quite a bit, which lowers the knock threshold.

This depends on the amount of boost that you are planning on running, but you should be fine with the setup you have described. However, even if you monitor the tune, you'd have no way of changing it if you ran into knocking or lean running or anything else.

If you have a little extra time on your hands and want the extra adaptability of standalone, I am a huge proponent of running Megasquirt. I currently am running MS2 extra on my turbo car, at 7.5psi, and I have been nothing but happy with it. The car drives about as well as factory, the only real exception now being that I haven't quite sorted the closed loop idle settings. No knocks under any conditions, 27 mpg city, 33ish highway (with a heavy foot. You will quickly find the passing power addictive haha), and the only thing that doesn't work is the fuel economy gauge. I started out not knowing anything about tuning an engine, and I had a solid, trackable tune for the M42 without the turbo in a few months. the big problem is that its a pretty undocumented install in the M42, although there are a few people on M42club and myself that can help.

For what it's worth, I haven't changed the fuel system at all, except for 42lb Ford Racing injectors (bosch green tops, but Ford flow matches them). Obviously it takes a little more time, effort, and probably money, but you get the ability to actually tune the car and get the most power and efficiency out of your setup. Plus, since you plan on getting a wideband, you can tune for much higher efficiency out of boost.

you could always build it to run on Motronic first and then go standalone later if you had to, and I don't think you would really have to change much. An upgraded fuel system either way certainly doesn't hurt.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

I actually decided on Megasquirt. The cost will be negligible compared to the RRFPR because I can sell the Mark D chip I have.

I will definitely be bugging you with some Megasquirt questions. I've got my Wideband, Oil Temp/pressure, and Boost gauges on the way, as well as the intercooler. I planned on the 42lb Ford Racing injectors as well, haha.

I planned on running around 8-9psi, and if I get super addicted, I have another M42 I can rebuild for more boost. :)

Thanks!

Comment

Haha okay, sounds good. Always glad to help a fellow M42 driver in need of boost :).

I'm sure you've read up a bit on the matter, but there are a few build threads on here that might help-e30guydownunder, DJbuttchug, ACschnitzer318is, and mine, if you haven't seen them already.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Working...
        X