boosting m50 vanos or non vanos??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boosting m50 vanos or non vanos??

ive been looking around on boost set ups people have done and i see a lot of peopple doing non vanos turbo...i would think boosting a vanos m50 would be better..am i wrong? im just curious..is it harder to tune or something, im still researching it but i was just wondering if anyone knew...

nevermind i found out why...but if done right and tuned right wouldnt the vanos turbo be better?

Comment

Originally posted by steezystef View Post
      nevermind i found out why...but if done right and tuned right wouldnt the vanos turbo be better?
      no.
      "The idea behind VANOS is to produce the flattest torque curve possible from a given engine capacity without sacrificing top end power. This is why VANOS engines produce such great torque from a small (relatively speaking) capacity. In theory, if boost pressure was consistent across the entire rev range over which VANOS operated what you would see by turbocharging a VANOS engine is the same torque and power curves on a much larger scale. Whilst modern turbos with variable vanes etc can improve low gas speed response on a biggish turbo, they still cannot work miracles and produce constant response and boost pressure over the entire rev range. To an extent you would still have to decide on where in the rev range you want the turbo to have the greatest effect. If you got the combination of turbo, cams and VANOS set up right though (with a really good ECU to tie it all together) you would end up with an engine with far less power and torque curve compromises having to be made and an engine with a much more useable spread of both power and torque."
      pulled this from something i saved a while back, looked into this aswell. just go m52 turbo. supposed to be the strongest

Comment

How does the vanos respond to supercharging?
        Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
        A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
          How does the vanos respond to supercharging?
          still boost man.
          it CAN be done turbo/supercharger. and yes, if you have the time/money to tune everything to work with the vanos and visa versa, then you would have a great set up.

here, pick 2- fast/cheap/reliable.

Comment

Please don't listen to this guy^

Comment

fuck it ill go 2jz lol itl be easier for what im aiming for

Comment

google for yourself.

Comment

Go with the vanos engine, more power potential with a few tuning options. Non vanos you will need a stand alone.

Great choice would be an M52 with MLS, ARP's, DME tune for 400rwhp all day long on pump gas and reliable.
                  Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

The only reason people go for non vanos is because it is the easiest and cheapest option. If tuned right the vanos should make more power. M52 is the way to go if you haven't already bought the engine. That's the one thing I wish I had done differently.

" WHY DO YOU NEED 300HP TO DO THE SPEED LIMIT?"

Comment

Im boosting an M50 vanos....tons of off the shelf tuning options (TRM, WAR, etc)...tons of info and support out there. 300whp should be very easy to obtain...that should be enough in my 2300lb e30 :)

I also wish I used an M52 right now too though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisv006 View Post
                        Im boosting an M50 vanos....tons of off the shelf tuning options (TRM, WAR, etc)...tons of info and support out there. 300whp should be very easy to obtain...that should be enough in my 2300lb e30 :)

I also wish I used an M52 right now too though.
                        how deep are you into the build? The bore of the m50 and m52 are the same I think. you can take the crank out of the m52 and have a 2.8 m50...

the only reason I haven't done that is because I already paid a bunch to have my crank built up :(

" WHY DO YOU NEED 300HP TO DO THE SPEED LIMIT?"

Comment

Originally posted by ogbimmer View Post
                          how deep are you into the build? The bore of the m50 and m52 are the same I think. you can take the crank out of the m52 and have a 2.8 m50...

the only reason I haven't done that is because I already paid a bunch to have my crank built up :(

At the levels of boost Im planning on, It would be overkill...I shouldn't even need an MLS head gasket...but I am planning on one.

Comment

Working...
                          X