Discuss PCV setups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discuss PCV setups.

Currently I have mine vented through a catch can stuffed with stainless wool, to atmosphere, under my car. It smells like shit when I'm idling on a hot day or after a drive, and I can see fumes coming off the underside of my car. I have a bit of blowby, so I am trying to deal with it in a sort of "emissions friendly" way (more like preserving my lungs and nose).

PCV system is supposed to keep a slight vacuum on the crankcase at almost all times, preventing oils leaks and vapor emission. I've been thinking a lot, and I want to reintroduce a vacuum to the crankcase vent, while making it friendly for performance and HP. There are a few requirements for a proper turbo PCV system.

1. Oil vapor drops octane, so there can be no burning of PCV vapors while on boost. Idle and cruising conditions are ok.
    2. A near-continuous source of vacuum is required.
    3. No oil in the turbo inlet, intercooler, or charge pipes. So sticking PCV on the front of the turbo is not good enough. and it makes everything nasty.

I drew up a switching PCV system to satisfy my needs, but I am unsure whether it can be done reliably. I know a few people have attempted this but I cant find their threads.

At idle and cruise and all other vacuum pressures, the vapors get burned off like bmw intended from the factory. Into the intake manifold and burned. On WOT, this system switches to dumping everything into the exhaust, after the catalyst. Don't want to crystallize and plug your cat. Not my favorite way of expelling oil vapor, but its much easier on me while I sit at a drive through. You don't smell your exhaust when moving.

The "vapor condenser" could be anything from an oil cooler with a drain line to a factory BMW oil separator like the ones on e46's or motorsport ones on m5's.

A challenge is finding a proper check valve. Now on Mcmaster I have found some low-cost (5492K53, polypropelene, rated 140F max temp) but light weight check valves that flow enough for our engines.

Thoughts?

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
    PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

In order for the to work you to find a sufficient solenoid valve that you can run to the TPS and detect WOT and kick your valve. How much do you think the "vapor condenser" is going to capture? I bet the net result will still be a stinky smell either way. Why not just a air regulator valve in the green circuit that is near fully closed at full boost but still draws minimal vacuum at boost, But opens at lower pressures?
    Originally posted by 325Projectz
    don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
    :nice:

Comment

The easiest to implement solution would be a CCV off a late model BMW. That system is an oil separator and pressure sensitive valve. An alternative would be a rather large catch can with a partition down the middle and filled with stainless steel wool a fittin on one side of the partition goes to the valve cover, a fitting on the other side to the intake and a drain on the bottom to the sump. The majority of the oil will be condensed by the seet wool and drain back into the sump. very little oil vapor will reach the intake.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I meant the red/yellow circuit. Funny I took the same approauch as the oem ccv in M52 does with my theory......

Check out the big brain on Swiss!
        Originally posted by 325Projectz
        don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
        :nice:

Comment

I'm toying around with the idea of using an m21 oil separator. It was intended for boosted cars and all.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
          My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
          X