M20B27 turbo build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20B27 turbo build

Hi, guys, I have been reading for a while and decided to register since I am about to convert my NA M20B27 into turbo.

The car is currently in the garage and is waiting for my decision to start the project.

I am researching about pistons. I would like to use stock pistons since the purpose is not maximum boost/performance. The car should be a pretty fast DD.

The engine is stock M20B25 Motronic 1.3, 81mm crank from 324td and shaved pistons from M50.

Has anyone used M42 pistons into M20? I am about to use these, shave them a bit and enlarge the dish so that CR goes below 9:1. The E30 M42 pistons are forged and the Super ETA pistons are very hard to find in Europe.
    Last edited by Indiana; 11-16-2011, 09:41 AM.

You can get some forged pistons that are the same CR as a stock i for around $650 from brc performance. That what i'm going to be using along with s52 rods.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
    My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

BRC Performance is way too far from me. The pistons will be the ones from M42.
      Is it going to be a problem if the pistons go 0.45mm above the deck? The stock head gasket is 1.75mm thick when compressed, right? So there is still piston to head clearance of 1.3mm. should I remove this 0.45mm from the piston's top and make it flat to the engine block?

Comment

E30 M42B18 pistons are cast, whoever told you they were forged mislead you.

Comment

OK, I switched to late M40B18 pistons which have a pretty nice dish. However they are still 0.45mm above the deck. Should i remove 0.45mm from the top of the piston or it is fine that it is above the deck?
          As I said the head gasket is 1.75mm, so the piston/head clearance is 1.3mm

Comment

Working...
          X