Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe: Misfiring, bad plugs, possible vacuum leak...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe: Misfiring, bad plugs, possible vacuum leak...?

Turbo m20
    30lb injectors
    Begi rrfpr
    Turbo chip
    Wideband
    Boost/vac gauge
    Oil pressure gauge
    ~7 lbs boost
    Ngk plugs

I've had this setup for a couple months and it's been driving pretty good. I don't abuse the motor. Just recently (3 days ago) the idle started to stutter. I would let off the throttle and it would drop low on the rpms, then rise, then drop again, then rise and stay at ~800. I figured it was a vacuum leak...no big deal. So I was driving to school this morning and I was going down a hill and using 2nd gear as my brake (no gas, just cruising). I pulled up to a stop sign, waited for traffic, and slowly pulled away in first gear. That's when I heard these symptoms:

Bad idle
    When idling and giving it some gas (holding it around 3k) it sounds perfect
    Driving with light throttle it almost sounds like knocking/popping
    It came out of nowhere
    No easily visible vacuum leaks (looked it over for a couple minutes)

What could it be? Bad plugs? AFR is right where it should be so I don't think that's an issue.....

Thanks in advance r3v.

check 02 sensor..unplug it and see if the car drives better. if there is a change it is most probably that.
    sigpic

Comment

Don't have an o2 sensor. Just the wideband (lc-1) with the narrowband output wire connected to the stock o2 harness (sending narrowband signal)

Comment

Just drove it home from school. It had the same problems. At first it wouldn't start but it eventually did.

It only had symptoms when I was on the throttle. Say I was in 2nd going 25 mph, I let off the throttle and it sounded normal.

Comment

Those were my early symptoms of a bad TPS and cop/rotor. Eventually I hit a brick wall @ 3rpm with intense back firing/misfiring.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Before we jump farther than spark plugs... what do they look like?
            '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
            NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
            Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Haven't checked them out yet. I will do that soon and post pics here.

Comment

Pulled plugs today:

Comment

is that oil or carbon? they look really rich.

Did you change the plugs after you did the initial tune?
                  '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                  NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                  Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
                    is that oil or carbon? they look really rich.

Did you change the plugs after you did the initial tune?

The tips are carbon.

No. These are the same plugs. I am just on a chip though...so I did fuel pressure, AFR, and other tuning on these plugs.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
                        Turbo m20

Bad idle
                        Driving with light throttle it almost sounds like knocking/popping

Thanks in advance r3v.

A knocking/popping would make me lean towards spark knock. Aka, you have detonation. Correct me if im wrong (just trying to apply what im learking in class) but carbon buildup could affect how gasoline burns if theres too much of it. Running a turbo with bad gas/wrong octain cannot have a high enough octane rating to reduce spark knock.

Did you just fill up before this started happening?

Comment

Swap out your plugs, check your wires, rotor and cap, as well as coil. Looks like you have excessive carbon deposit but its glossy which indicates possible splash fouling (wet) from carbon build up on piston face during running shedding off and fouling up the insulator and strap. I'm under the impression your turbo set up is turned and AFR is being monitored? What do your AFR's look like @ cruise and WOT as well as warm idle? Could just be a weak spark, which is creating an incomplete combustion which is why you are hearing the popping sound at partial throttle (spark isn't as strong as it is @ WOT). If you haven't done an ignition overhaul in sometime, you may want to think about it.

Good Luck, and keep us in the loop about what you do, and what happens. :)
                          Last edited by HR2L; 12-02-2011, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I did just fill up, but I've been running the same gas (91) from the same station for a few months now.

Yes. I've got it tuned. When I start it in the morning it runs at ~10.5. Yes, you read right....10.5 at idle. It's only like that for a minute or so (motronic ignores the adjustments I did to the AFM wheel. It enters a pre-programmed map during warm up which is designed for 14lb injectors, not 30lb) When it's warmed up it idles at ~14.5-14.8. WOT it's in the 12's.

Stock ignition setup.

Comment

Working...
                            X