Need help and answers o ringed block and welded head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help and answers o ringed block and welded head

im trying to figure out what an o ringed block actually does and if its really worth it i already have arps if that helps and also what would a welded head do or help with....would that make it run hot idk im puzzled any help would be great thanks alot!

Oringing a block is exactly what it sounds like. You would have a machine shop cut a groove encompassing the cylinder wall in which you would later lay a steel/copper wire in. When you torque you head down, the wire will somewhat cut a tight groove into the headgasket.The purpose of this is to create a better seal between the head and block which ultimately means more boost before you head gasket blows.

As for the welded head Im assuming youre talking about welding the water jackets on a m20 head? People weld the center of the jackets closed because that spot is the most prone to head gasket failure. The water jacket is not completely welded shut! There will be 2 channels on each side still left open so it should not run hot if done properly.
    Last edited by e46s54dr; 01-01-2012, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Ok thanks so much for the info but I don't get how the o ring works like wouldn't the piston hit it or wouldn't the o ring mess up the head gasket pinching it?

Comment

Originally posted by e3027sedan View Post
        Ok thanks so much for the info but I don't get how the o ring works like wouldn't the piston hit it or wouldn't the o ring mess up the head gasket pinching it?
        The Oring grooves are cut on the top deck of the block so there is not interference with the pistons. The copper oring will kind of press itself a groove into the oem gasket or copper type head gasket creating a seal. It wont mess up the headgasket if done correctly.

Comment

Ok you keep saying correctly what shop can do that the right way?

Comment

Any reputable machine shop should be able to do it for you. Just look up local shops near you and ask them if they have any experience in oring'n a block for you.

Comment

or rent the hand tool yourself from iskycams for $60

product GRM-100

Derek
              DedericMS

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
              PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

ok so now that i get that can you post pics or show me where to weld on the head?

Comment

Google is your friend.
                  For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

click images

Comment

More specifically

After decking
                    1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Working...
                    X