S50 turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 turbo

As I gather the funds to send my e30 off to be fixed, I was thinking about turbos. My engine already has a rebuild with fresh head, .080 mls gasket, arp head stubs and rebuilt vanos. Looking to add some boost to my life, but my turbo knowledge is limited. This would be a learning experience. So my idea was to ge a turbo, idk on size (hx35 possibly??), and make a header adapter for a manifold. I want to do a bottom mount set up so when you pop the hood a snail isnt showing.

something like this, but still allows the turbo room for the bottom mount set up. I am only looking for a ok amount of boost, nothing to ridiculous. IDK like 7-8 psi? Another question is where do the oil feed and return lines go to? I know people tap into the pan, but is there another spot to tap into? Once I source my turbo, IC, piping, Bov, waste gate, oil lines, what is next on the list? Will I need a wideband oxygen sensor? What about injector size, and fuel management?

Just looking for help with my questions, or some ideas. I will be going trough this but im not sure when. hopefully before bimmerfest 2012.

Patrick - IG:niicknac
    RIP 1987 BMW 325is - S50'd ZF 6-speed, flared, bagged

Yeah, you'll want some engine management. Hardcore setup: MS or other standalone. Mediocre setup for moderate boost: turbo chip.

You'll want bigger injectors definitely. Depending on what EMS you go with, you might need an RRFPR. People think of that as a bandaid, but I think of it as a budget setup that's actually pretty decent. So turbo chip + RRFPR + wideband would be a good setup.

Oil drain into pan is a great setup. Make sure you have a big drain line....preferably -10an.

Comment

Didn't realize this was for a 24v.

Don't cheap out on management. Go MS or similar. Get big injectors. Tune. Raise boost. Tune. Raise boost some more.

Comment

I was looking into ms, what size injectors would be good to run? and im guessing RRFPR is a fuel pressure regulator?

Comment

Yes. Rising rate fuel pressure regulator. You don't need one of those with megasquirt.

I've seen guys running 60lb injectors. The size you're going to want depends on how much boost you want to run.

Comment

There really isn't a lot of room to make a bottom mount setup work with an adapter plus you will need to add an external oil scavenge pump. You would be better off just going top mount, it will save you money and headaches in the long run.

For tuning MS is fine as long as you have someone to set it up and tune it.
            Best solution would be a stock ECU chip tune which would plug right in and your set.
            Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Top mounted, ceramic coated Manilfold for the S50.

This may be of some help to you.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

If you have bought items from me, please leave feedback below.
              If you are a BUYER, Check My Feedback.:up:
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=183860

Check out my Euro Build Thread
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=215557

Comment

ehh I was afraid that would happen, but yet again i dont have anything yet to check clearances. oh well ill sac up and do a top mount

Comment

Working...
                X