X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what turbo and manifolds are you using?

hey guys.

ive decided to boost my e30. m20.

my plans are to use a masterpower r595 turbo, its basically the likes of gt35s.
    good for 350-600hp. my aim being 350. and the option of full forged in the future for more power.

im also torn between two manifolds. the 666 style adapter or a 6-2-1 manifold from schmiedmann. the adapter type looks like itll be able to flow well enough for 350hp and also a sight load cheeper.

does anyone have experiance with either?

thanks, leigh.

I use a 666 adapter that I like quite a bit. I really can't speak to how well the stock manifold with adapter flows in relation to a full manifold but it doesn't struggle to spool an 18cm2 H1C to 15psi pretty quick.

The fit is very good if not a little tight getting it in and out. I don't really like where the wastegate ends up, I'd prefer it more on top of the manifold than underneath it. Makes it a pain in the ass to get to. To change the oil filter I have to take off the oil filter mount but it's only one bolt so not that big of a deal. If you're on a budget I think the adapter is the way to go. Down the road I'll definitely upgrade to an equal length.

Comment

yea. i may look to pricing. see how much each will cost me. but atm i am swaying towards the adapter. just need to find a set of US exhuast manifolds as the ones we get over here are single peice and end up in a different location.

Comment

After looking on the schmiedmann website and checking out the manifold they have for sale. It's just an eBay manifold nothing special. You will struggle to make it fit without modifactions and the material on that is really thin chances are it they will crack over time especially under the weight of the turbo. It says its stainless steel but it really is just Chinese pus.
        Revshift sell an adapter for a little bit more made from quality American stainless steel, built with good American craftsmanship. They are supposed to fit without issues. I havent heard of anyone modifying these manifolds to fit. For the price they charge its pretty good. We charge $1200 for our manifolds these guys charge nearly half that for a full manifold. They're also suited to Rhd since the turbo sits forward giving you more room to route a dump pipe past the steering shaft.
        If you don't like the wastegate location (I don't either) I'd not bother optioning it with an external gate outlet and get a local guy who can weld to make a provision off your turbine housing (hot side of the turbo). My boss has been running that sort of setup on his 8 second vl turbo and its been great, no boost control issues and no signs of the welds cracking even on the cast iron.
        Also I have a pair of US m20 manifolds that cost me $80 shipped. If you hop onto the wanted section of this forum people will fight eachother and try to sell it to you for as cheap as possible.
        Last edited by The Humjet; 03-14-2012, 05:30 AM.

Comment

I collected my parts from eBay, and built it with budget in mind.

used Metric Blues and slaped on new headgasket.

manifold is a stainless steel ebay piece of grade school art, and using a .60trim T3/T4 turbo with external 38mm fake tial wastegate (but with real tial spring) boosting at 8psi.
          chip tuned by local tuner.

it's turnkey and my ass dyno loves it.
          Originally posted by flyboyx
          i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

sooo from what im hearing. go adapter? which was my 1st gut feeling. they look smooth flowing accually and dont look to badly made. ill keep an eye out for revshift ones.

Comment

Yeah. The schmeidmann doesn't seem right. No wastegate provisional either I think?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

your right. no wastegate port. thats of no use to me then. and welding one on will most likey not be very strong. or fit very well.

and the factory manifolds are ment to flow rather well. and the adapter will keep the pulses closer together for better spool in theory. well thats what i come up with the more i think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by e30leigh View Post
                  your right. no wastegate port. thats of no use to me then. and welding one on will most likey not be very strong. or fit very well.

and the factory manifolds are ment to flow rather well. and the adapter will keep the pulses closer together for better spool in theory. well thats what i come up with the more i think of it.
                  They're pretty good for the price. And are good for about 400bhp. If your planning on building your motor with forgies and head work later down the road then your better off with a full revshift manifold. With a big camshaft and the large turbo your getting its all gonna tie in very well together. And make big power on less boost.
                  That is my plan anyway. I wanna do a fair bit of headwork along with a big turbo cam and set the rev limiter to whenever I stop making power.

Comment

Working...
                  X