Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we go again - 325is Turbo out of Edmonton

Here we go again

In 2007 I build my first Turbo E30. The car was fantastic. In 2009 I build a 2.8l stroker turbo engine for this one. In the end this car got too expensive and it had to go. I was sure I would never build another E30 Turbo.

Well what can I say? I couldn’t resist it and got another project car. This time it’s a 03/1987 325is. Complete with sport package and sound system. Pretty good base considering I only paid $1500 for the car.

My goal was a cheap daily driver with some kick to it. As cheap as possible.
    Here is the base (pretty dirty)

Then I started to buy stuff. Since it had to be as cheap as possible I checked out good ol eBay. Who can say no to a turbo kit for 650 bucks.

Some gauges. Air Fuel ratio / Boost / oil pressure

A set of 24 lb. Mustang injectors.

While I was shopping I got some other very important upgrades.
    Euro headlights with the smiley.
    New 16” wheels.
    H&R race springs with Bilstein sport shocks.

Meanwhile at Edmonton BMW. The E30 turbo custom install corner. And thanks to Edmonton BMW for letting me finish these projects.
    From left to right. 1987 325is Turbo – 1991 325ix Turbo – 1991 325i M30 Turbo project for 2012!

After spending all that money there was some work to be done. I had a spare engine sitting around so I started tearing the engine apart to keep the car running. The spare engine had around 130000 miles on it. The one in the is had 175000.
    Engine was stripped down to the block. I had some bad experiences with the MLS gaskets in the past I thought I give oringing a chance. Borrowed the Isky 300 tool from my buddy Qbuilt and oring’d the shit out of the block. Worked pretty smooth and it looks fantastic.

I also ordered some ARPs from VAC and painted the block. Of course a complete reseal too.

The head was shaved and ported. New seals and relapped the valves.

After finishing the engine I found out that my eBay manifold fit perfect. No drilling needed. But I had to bend on of the oil feed lines to the oil cooler. The rest was smooth sailing. Just to be safe I welded another support onto the manifold.

Then it was time. Old engine out, new turbo engine in.

That’s it so far. I will continue the write up during this week.

Here’s what my budget looks like right now.
    325is $1500
    Turbo kit $850 (incl shipping)
    ARP studs $250
    Gauges $300
    Injectors $60
    Seal kit (head and block) $150
    Fittings $50
    FMU $100
    Silicone couplers $100
    Wheels $400 used
    Headlights $100 used
    Suspension $250 used

Plus small stuff that I can’t remember.
    So I guess I’m still way under $5000 incl the car. Not bad so far.

Looks nice. Keep us updated!

Comment

Im interested to see how the kit turns out
      Dare 2 Dream Motorsports
      sigpic

Comment

This thing looks like a turd. Prob runs like one too. Did Audrey work on this one? Bush son. Bush

Comment

Sexy work on the o-ringing. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
            Sexy work on the o-ringing. ;)
            I don't know why I'm not doing this right now. I should be...

Comment

What are you going with as far as engine management?

Comment

looks good. ill be watching the build.

Comment

very cool my canadian brother.... :) very nice and detailed build.
                  Denny

Blogs:
                  http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/ (restoration)
                  http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.com (Twincharge M20)
                  http://bmw325e30m62b44.blogspot.ca/

Comment

what was the bad experiance with the mls head gasket?

what are the pros and cons you think with mls and o-ringing?

Comment

@98BARUSTI
                      stock motronic with 24lb injectors and 10:1 FMU. Worked good on the last build.

Comment

what was the bad experiance with the mls head gasket?

what are the pros and cons you think with mls and o-ringing?
                        Well. MLS is good if you have a shaved block and head. But it tends to leak. I saw several failures where the MLS didn't seal. But I guess it all comes down to the correct tune. My last build was with a MLS and it worked good. But I build one for my buddy and he had only problems with it. This time I go with the oring.

Comment

Sorry for the long wait. But by now the car is done. Kinda forgot to post some updates. Anyways. Here we go again.

Engine is in and Turbo is mounted. Now of course some piping and intercooler. The usual here, front mount intercooler. After some cutting the intercooler was no problem. Piping was ok too. Still working on a better solution for the blow off valve. But I guess I will redo the piping later anyways. Right now the cheap ebay piping will do. Euro spec headlight fit too. It took a bit of cutting and grinding but piping and headlights fit good.

And then the downpipe and exhaust. The last build was 2.5” downpipe and exhaust. This time I wanted to go with 3”. Piping is Flowmaster 3” all the way. I picked up a full custom DIY V8 exhaust kit from Flowmaster. More than enough piping for 2 E30 Turbo builds. And like always cheap. Only $300 for the kit, $150 for my half.
                          I used an old BMW 330i primary silencer for a muffler. It was almost 3 inch inlet and dual tips. Stainless and cheap.
                          Later I heatwrapped the downpipe and some parts of the header.

Time for the wastegate. I like the new header design with the wastegate location. But when it was time to install the wastegate there was not really a lot of room. But I got it to work and also got the dump pipe done. I used the old e30 stock exhaust which worked great.

And that was pretty much the build. Some finishing touches to engine and interior.
                          Since this is a pre facelift model I had to move the expansion tank. I installed the water pump, hoses and tank from a 91 325i. No problem. I build a small bracket to hold the tank in place and done!
                          Gauges into the center vent and some vacuum hoses. And there is a Turbo E30 in less than a month.

Suspension and other great stuff is coming next.
                          To be continued.

Comment

congrats the on the turbo build. the bumpers look like ass though haha. get some mtech onto it

Comment

Nice and simple. :up:

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                              My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X