cheap turbo possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cheap turbo possibilities

On craigstlist, there is a guy selling a full M20 already turboed. He said that it's mostly ebay stuff (at least manifold and turbo) but it's an engine, transmission, and turbo kit. I'm thinking that although it's a ebay kit, maybe I could buy that, since it's cheap, to get me started and buy MS for it so I don't blow it up, but upgrade the turbo and maybe manifold as I go. Would that work? Have a functioning turbo kit with cheap parts and slowly change out the cheap parts for better ones as I feel necessary/find deals.

Just bouncing ideas.

He can also help me swap the whole assembly in...

Here's the build thread:
    Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

and the craigslist:

Comment

Looks like a decent deal if you ask me assuming everything is in good shape.

Bigger injectors are a must! Also, go with megasquirt from the start. It seems like he has no EMS currently...sketchy! That downpipe is shitty..you'll want something mandrel bent for max flow.

What condition is the motor in?

Comment

lmao

Comment

He said there's 209k on the engine and 4k on the top end. The only thing that worries me is that he wasn't using management, so he could have been running lean and frying stuff or knocking and not knowing, but it seems like a viable option to get boosted quickly and cheaply.

Comment

It doesn't sound worth the headache to me. The guy doesn't seem to take advice on how important tuning is. That's the most important part of a turbo setup... You can piece together a kit for pretty cheap. I'm doing it right now. Just gotta keep your eye on the classified sections

Comment

Yeah, the price is tempting, but I don't know the price means it'll be terrible. The fact that it is a complete clutch, short shifter, and a good majority of the parts that could be upgraded later so idk...

Comment

Originally posted by asdfg68plus1 View Post
                Yeah, the price is tempting, but I don't know the price means it'll be terrible. The fact that it is a complete clutch, short shifter, and a good majority of the parts that could be upgraded later so idk...
                The thread on bf.c is what leads me to believe this engine is worked. The guy ran it hard with no management. You could buy this whole setup and use it for parts, or even drop it in and hope it runs well!

It's up to you man. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X