crush pipe vs. mandrel bent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crush pipe vs. mandrel bent

I know that mandrel bent is preferred and recommended but I was wondering how big of a difference does it make? I bought an engine with a turbo kit already put on it that I'm going to swap in and it came with a full crush bent exhaust. Will it make a big enough difference that I would want to get something different immediately?

What size is the piping?

Comment

Not too sure... I'll go out and check.

Comment

if its the correct diam...

enough of a difference to change it immediately?.....no.
        I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

2.5" ID

For some reason, the PO of it got quad tips and I think it would look kinda goofy with one side having a cut out and the other not. That's just from the axle back, though. It has a magnaflow muffler.

Now that I think about it, he might have put the muffler on backwards... currently set up, it is one entry, two exit with one on one side and the other on the entry side so if it got turned around, it could be a one entry, two exit with both next to each other and could just have to tips. Unless mufflers are uni-directional...

Excuse the messy garage....
          Attached Files

Comment

Well how much power are you expecting? A 2.5" crush bent exhaust is somewhat restrictive....

Comment

Nothing too exciting right now. I'm going to aim for around 250 at first so I can get accustomed to it and not kill myself. I'll slowly up the boost as I go. I was thinking it would probably be easier to just do it right the first time and not have to worry about it again.

Comment

I'd redo it in mandrel bent 3"

Comment

That's about what I was thinking. The other pipe also has a couple 90 degree bends in the middle that wouldn't help the cause...

Comment

+1 jaywood. That is a wrinkle bend design the worst for exhaust flow. If you have the $ get mandrel 3". Most mufflers are not unidirectional so get a new 3'' in 3" out. The difference between crush and mandrel exhaust are immediate i've done about a dozen cars n/a and boosted with both types of exhaust.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X