S50B30 n/a to turbo conversion - help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50B30 n/a to turbo conversion - help.

Hey guys, just wandering if anyone has any info on this conversion, I might be picking up a m3 s50b30 motor (obd1) and straight cut 5spd gear box later on next week some time..

I'm looking to turbo the engine, but I would like to know how much work would go into doing that, what's needed? (other than the turbo, intercooler and pipes) if there are any builds that you know of where this has been done please link us, I really apreciate all the help I can get as I'm not to familiar with BMW motors..

How much power do you think you could push out of this engine n/a and with what mods?

It would be going into an e21 so the motor at stock build would move that little car pretty well, but the more power the better, right!

Search!

Comment

What goes into turboing a car?

Turbo manfold, downpipe, wastegate, oil/coolant lines for turbo, injectors/tune (most likely fuel pump upgrade as well) , your going to want an oil cooling system, upgraded clutch, some sort of afr and boost gauges, bov or diverter valve, some sort of boost control if not running off wastegate spring, usually a maf relocation and turbo inlet pipe.

No offense but I feel like if you have to ask what goes into a turboing a car you are not ready to do it, and none of what I mentioned is really specific to bmws. And depending on your power goals you may need to modify the engine to lower compression and put in headstuds, or do a complete build (forged pistons and rods)

>How much power do you think you could push out of this engine n/a and with what mods?

Depends on your wallet really. I havent seen much more then like 300 ish whp out of them. To get there your spending at least 1500 on cams and tune alone, then theres headwork, rebuilding it, higher compression pistons, theres itb kits you can buy and then hundreds of little things you can tune in an na engine, and possibly an aftermarket ecu to control everything.

Based on your post it seems like you should do some research. Go to the project subforum and look at anything with an m50, 52 or s50 52 and turbo builds.even an m20 or m42 turbo will give you a good idea of whats in store for turboing a na car.
      Last edited by mitchlevy7; 03-15-2013, 12:53 PM.
      www.cp-e.com

1989 Zinno 325i m52 turbo coupe
      2015 Ford Fiesta ST, Daily Driver.

Comment

You won't get 300whp out of a cammed s50. The most I've seen is 250-260whp with a full bolt-on s52.

That said a stock s50 should be plenty to drift an e21

Comment

Working...
        X