How did you learn to drive with boost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you learn to drive with boost?

This may seem like a crazy question, but I am curious as to how you learned.

I have seen many videos of people that don't know how to drive a boosted car put them in a ditch from spinning tires at too high of a speed.
    What is the learning process in learning to control power? Start small and work your way up with the pedal?
    Feel free to laugh, but the last thing I want is to toss an e30 into a ditch!
    I have my thoughts as to how to learn safely, but was curious if anyone has any insight as to how to learn to deal with turbo power!

My guess is that most people start small and work up. Turbo m42's and 24v's put out insane power, enough to beat probably 99% of cars on the road in a straight line (and in corners too). Almost no one starts on a car like that so I bet everyone who drives a car that puts down 350+ whp probably drove one with under 150 for years.
    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

hold on tight

Comment

Adjust the throttle linkage so it doesn't open up all the way is how I'd do it.
        Loonatic

Comment

its not that hard

Comment

Set the boost low and bump it up gradually. My first turbo car was my mom's 9-3 and albeit was 180hp, it still scared me. I then acquired a few 9-3's of my own and my 325 is my first N/A car since I was 16. Take it easy with the boost and you'll get there.

Comment

loldontcrash

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                My guess is that most people start small and work up. Turbo m42's and 24v's put out insane power, enough to beat probably 99% of cars on the road in a straight line (and in corners too). Almost no one starts on a car like that so I bet everyone who drives a car that puts down 350+ whp probably drove one with under 150 for years.
                318is for 1 year
                M50tu swapped 89 for 3 months
                M50 turbo is next lol
                My main concern is rolling at a high speed, giving it too much power and having it step out and then lose it into a ditch after weaving for a bit lol

Comment

maybe setup autocross style in a big parking lot so that you will hit cones instead of going in a ditch until you get used to it.

if you cant control your car, control your enviornment.
                  www.cp-e.com

1989 Zinno 325i m52 turbo coupe
                  2015 Ford Fiesta ST, Daily Driver.

Comment

I have done auto-x for the past two years (which is just as long as I have had a license ;)
                    Judging by responses, I must just be paranoid lol.

Comment

don't lift

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

best way to learn is to just drive it, dont be an idiot, drive on roads with little to no traffic, and possibly no buildings, houses, trees, poles, etc. and honestly you dont need to be going 100mph + to learn how to drive your turbo car, do some first to second gear pulls to get use to the car and see how it feels breaking traction. most people get scared when a car breaks traction and they want to lift off the throttle fast, if you have a open diff, your car is going to snap back violently and most likely lose control into something, that is if your car is going sideways while breaking traction. you either need to stay in it, or slowly let off the throttle. and remember, always wear your seat belt :)

When people ask you what car you drive and you say a BMW and they get all excited until they see it...
                        my build thread. M50 swap, shaved bay, and wire tuck. http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87351

Comment

The first drive in my turbo back in 2007 yielded getting sideways accidentally around the first corner. It was awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by travish325 View Post
                            its not that hard

That's what she said!
                            NASA
                            BMWCCA member
                            PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                            1997 M3 sedan
                            2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment