what engine management do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what engine management do you have?

ok so far i am still running stock computer with my stroker and i must say it doesnt run perfectly at all. i have heard of 3 different types of piggybacks and i want your opinions on them.
    SMT-6, Uni-Chip, and MegaSquirt.
    no i wouldnt tune it on my own so dont even ask, it would be helpful to me, and im sure others if we could get some good information on pros and cons for all of them, what makes one better than the other.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

UniChip.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

...and... pros and cons any info on why its the best?
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

No cons.

Comment

More than likely, there is a place close to you that is familiar with the tuning of Unichip and can tune it accurately where as SMT-6 and Megasquirt, a lot of people dont know about and they might not even attempt to do it for ya.

Will
          RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
          Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
          DaveCN = Old Man
          My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
          If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

that sounds like a big pro for unichip

Comment

Bryson is selling an SMT-6 if you want one.

Comment

How much did tuning sessions with your Unichip cost you Jordan? Or should I say how much would they cost the average consumer?

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
                You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

I recently called around and got a couple quotes. Most shops I talked to charge a flat rate for a remap with as many runs and actual driving time needed to get everything tip top.

$350-500 is what I found.

Intial purchase, install, and tuning was $1,100. The UniChip B box alone is ~$450.

Comment

Wow, quite a bit higher than i had expected. Guess it pays to slap everything on together and get it tuned once.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
                    You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

Most definately does.

I have the UniChip software, and the plans to make the serial port to UniChip cable are available on the net...

I still paid someone else to do it for me :)

Comment

I don't think 1,100 is bad at all for a complete tune including the 450 for the hardware.

I have no clue what to get for engine management, but if I could pay 500 for the tune alone that would be awesome.

Mike Fritz

Comment

jordan, did you buy the actual unit then take it in and have it installed etc, or did you buy it from the place that installed it?

i did the where to buy thing on the unichip website and it only gave me the internet site that only has a pretuned e36 m3 one

Comment

i had an SMT6. bought it as part of the original group buy from gunni/gst. i did ignition tuning and a MAF conversion with it. I had no problems with the unit, but would probably go with megasquirt for my next project.
                            Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
                            '99 M3 / Track Car
                            '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
                            '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC
                              jordan, did you buy the actual unit then take it in and have it installed etc, or did you buy it from the place that installed it?

i did the where to buy thing on the unichip website and it only gave me the internet site that only has a pretuned e36 m3 one
                              I bought it from them, as only a UniChip licenced tuner is going to know what unit is best for your car. There were no cheaper prices to be found anywhere else anyways.

Comment

Working...
                              X