Tial Q BOV questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tial Q BOV questions

I just upgraded my BOV to a Tial Q from a very small turbosmart dual port BOV venting to atmosphere. I think it was the 25MM one and extremely loud. I understand it was loud because of all of the air going out of such a small area at one time. Still, I have a few questions.

Are they relatively quiet? I'm not looking for a particularly loud BOV but the videos you hear and watch on youtube of the Q valve makes it sound quite loud. I'm just wanting to make sure its operating to full potential for my particular setup. Yes I do know about the interchangeable springs I have 3 different ones, black, white and unpainted. I installed it with the unpainted because that was my HG reading and it was WAY too stiff. I've installed the black one now and the BOV vents at idle and open/closes on off throttle as it should. I have the valve T'd right off of the manifold so its as good as reading you can get with the M20. NeWb question: Would the size of vacuum line used effect readings and characteristics of the BOV? Under boost I can hear it letting out the excess air but its nothing like my previous BOV's. I understand that this is one of the most high flowing valves on the market and that with my setup I probably don't have enough air rushing away from the throttle body to make it let off like it was supplying a 500WHP setup. I am running 13lbs of boost on a m20. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

What turbo are you running? 13lbs with a tiny turbo is not 13lbs with a large turbo. Think air pressure, turbine mass & speed (deceleration, time), and the size of the BOV port. If a small turbo blow-off event would be like opening a soda can, a large turbo would be like opening the door to a pressurized building; They could both be pressurized to 13psi, but the volume of air is greatly different. Imagine that scenario rushing through a fixed sized port.

The size of the vac line can alter the speed which the diaphragm/piston is actuated in response to a sudden shutting of the throttle plate. The larger line allows more volume transfer, allowing the piston/diaphragm to move faster and more responsive.

I upgraded my BOV line from 1/8" id vac line to -4an stainless lines (1/4" id) which removed almost all of the compressor surge by making BOV more responsive. But the loundness did not change.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
    PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Good info^

TiAL Q's are quiet compared to the shriek of other BOV's I've heard.
      They sound more like a dump.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I ran the Tial Q and when it discharges it goes "bouuusshhh" (imagine a water balloon hitting the ground) vs. the high pitched "fsshhhh" of other BOVs so it is much more quiet.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

I'm running a HX35 with a 18CM housing, so its flowing a good amount of air when under boost. (compared to the 12,14 etc) As stated above I realize that I'm not flowing like a GT409R would. But after some minor adjustments yesterday I got everything sorted and good to go!

Comment

Working...
          X