Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo flutter question on m20 turbo with VIDEO

Hello,

I am very happy to say that the turbo project finally sees the light at the end of the tunnel. I popped a head gasket within the 1st mile during the first time driving it, lost a lot of money and hope, but just got her on the road and shes actually building boost.

However, I am really going light on it because I am terrified if I pop the head gasket again I would just scrap the project. So I took it for a few short light throttle bursts, and kept getting this flutter.

Is this just the bov not opening up to dispirse pressure in the intake tubing, so its going back to the turbo and slowing the compressor wheel?

Is there any way I could check the bov to function properly? I baught it llightly used assuming its good, when it could really be faulty.

Thanks

I don't hear any flutter..? If you're talking about the whistle, that's you driving open downpipe.

What kind of BOV btw? And yeah, you can test the BOV with a vacuum pump/gauge

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Sorry, I'm thinking backwards. That's to test if it's leaking under boost instead of not opening. Where is the vac line connected to?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Man your good. It is just a downpipe lol. That would explain the turbo spool noise, but it seemd to have a little flutter noise in my opinion in the video.

The vac line is off of the line that is split three ways from the brake booster, to the intake bellow, to post tb. I dont have the intake bellows, so I used that part and spliced in a vacuum nipple then that goes to the bov.

I will double check it because since the fitting was tapered and its only plastic, it might have cracked and maybe caused an intake leak.

EDIT: Its a tial 50mm wg, with what I believe to be an 11 lb spring.

Comment

I still can't hear it! If you're talking about the low bass whistle, letting off the gas, it's the turbine chopping up the exhaust gases slower, and slower, whistling.

Yeah if you have a crack or leak in the line, it won't open.
          Is it a spring type BOV? Can you take a picture of your lines?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Working...
          X