• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Victell View Post
    The fact that a m90 is bolted to a m20 makes up for everything
    Thanks mang. That means a lot.
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hi,

I've been following this thread for a while, as I'm also attempting to fit an M90 (from an L67) to my M20.

Will your manifold alone reliably support the weight of that M90 with the sudden engine movements on acceleration/deceleration?
      My M90 weighs about 16 kgs, but I will have the bypass/throttle body part chopped off just past the rear needle bearings, which should make it lighter and hopefully short enough to actually fit...

Aren't you concerned about the lubrication of the upper cogwheel and rotor bearing with the charger oriented this way?

Good luck with your build!

Comment

Originally posted by Scywrath View Post
        Hi,

I've been following this thread for a while, as I'm also attempting to fit an M90 (from an L67) to my M20.

Will your manifold alone reliably support the weight of that M90 with the sudden engine movements on acceleration/deceleration?
        My M90 weighs about 16 kgs, but I will have the bypass/throttle body part chopped off just past the rear needle bearings, which should make it lighter and hopefully short enough to actually fit...

Aren't you concerned about the lubrication of the upper cogwheel and rotor bearing with the charger oriented this way?

You know, I don't know if it will eventually break the manifold or not. I have thought about it, and I guess we'll find out sooner or later. I will be adding bracing to the valve cover and down to the block as well. This should help.

Lubrication? I feel like the bottom gear will transfer oil to the top as it rotates. I also don't see a reason not to just fill that baby all the way up with oil.

Good luck on yours as well.
        I'm so excited I could just shit.

-Jacob
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
          You know, I don't know if it will eventually break the manifold or not. I have thought about it, and I guess we'll find out sooner or later. I will be adding bracing to the valve cover and down to the block as well. This should help.
          Bracing at the valve cover seems to be a good idea if the load is distributed evenly between all the valve cover bolts.

My plan is to fit it to the under the original manifold supported by some rectangular tubes (idk if that's what they're called) bolted to the top of the manifold and I will also reinforce the support at the valve cover. I'm also going to use some support from the block, probably using the l-jet distributor area.
          I may be overly concerned about this because my car is a daily driver.

Lubrication? I feel like the bottom gear will transfer oil to the top as it rotates. I also don't see a reason not to just fill that baby all the way up with oil.
          Yes, the gears could lubricate each other but I think it would be more difficult for the oil to get to the rotor bearing at the top. I'm no expert, this is just an assumption.

The SC shaft (at least on mine) is vented, so it's not possible to fill it up without plugging that vent which I don't want to do.
          I also read somewhere that too much oil in the SC creates a lot of friction which causes the charger to overheat and gets it damaged.

Good luck on yours as well.
          Thank you!

I'm so excited I could just shit.
          I'm also excited, but I'm also not sure if this sentence means that or the exact opposite.

Comment

No, it means that I'm very excited...
            ~~~~~~~~~~
            I was born on 3/25…
            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

No, it means that I'm very excited...
              Thanks, I learnt something new! :)

Comment

Being that you can climb onto the top of an m20, and stand on it's manifold with out issues, I don't think that's an issue at all. 12 bolts, all just to evenly spread the weight around, I don't think it's an issue.
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                  Being that you can climb onto the top of an m20, and stand on it's manifold with out issues, I don't think that's an issue at all. 12 bolts, all just to evenly spread the weight around, I don't think it's an issue.
                  With the original manifold unsupported at the valve cover, I wouldn't try it. Even if it withstood climbing up on it this way, I don't think it would if someone was jumping on the top of it for a whole week which is more similar to the forces it would have to bear spending years on the engine.
                  With his manifold, the lever arm is even greater than the original.

Comment

Don't worry about the lubrication... the factory volume of oil is good for any orientation (except pouring it out the vent, of course).

Do not fill it all the way up. The oil will expand as the engine warms up and either spill out the vent or pressurize the inside of the gear case if it can't get out the vent.

Comment

You really need to keep a bypass valve in the system for street driving.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                        You really need to keep a bypass valve in the system for street driving.
                        I'm planning to use an external Bosch bypass valve.

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Hi,

The real issues here are the ~50 hp constantly trying to tear the charger off the motor. The rotational force alone has pulled plenty of chargers off their motors.

My question is if you could run an intercooler somewhere in this system, since the M90 tends to run prreeeeeeetty hot.
                            REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

Originally posted by MaxBell View Post
                              The real issues here are the ~50 hp constantly trying to tear the charger off the motor. The rotational force alone has pulled plenty of chargers off their motors.
                              I recall OP stating this would be a low boost application, so it's definitely not going to be ~50 hp, let alone constant.
                              There doesn't seem to any valid source about this, but what I found was that an M90 providing 10 psi boost at 6000 rpm = 18 HP, which is still a lot...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxBell View Post
                                My question is if you could run an intercooler somewhere in this system, since the M90 tends to run prreeeeeeetty hot.
                                The manifold is built to get a water to air intercooler later when I pulley up the boost.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~
                                I was born on 3/25…
                                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X