No announcement yet.

From knowing nothing to having a Thunderbird supercharger on an m20b27i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks man. Great meeting you guys too! Glad to have new high quality people at the Brodeo.
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ok, well, the throttle stuck wide open on the highway the other day. I just turned the ignition back 1 click and coasted to the side of the road. But the TB lever broke in half across the pivot point and got wedged behind the stop (of all things to get hung on). Good thing it wasn't on the dragon when it took a shit.

Iiiiiiiiregardless, Got one coming from ebay, $30 shipped.
      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      I was born on 3/25…
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Need to stop hitting the throttle with a hammer...

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
          Need to stop hitting the throttle with a hammer...
          Lol, looking back, I think I had the stop on the TB stopping the pedal movement (instead of the pedal stop) as well as the plate movement. So the poor lever was taking the brunt of the load every time I hammered down on it (with my lead foot).

Lesson learnt.
          ~~~~~~~~~~
          I was born on 3/25…
          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
            looking back, I think I had the stop on the TB stopping the pedal movement (instead of the pedal stop) as well as the plate movement. So the poor lever was taking the brunt of the load every time I hammered down on it (with my lead foot).

Lesson learnt.
            Turns out that the top of the TB lever was just grazing the hood. The pedal stop was stopping the pedal and the throttle stop on the TB was stopping the butterfly. Not in conflict. The conflict was between the hood and the TB lever. I got out the speed massager and rectified the situation in just a few whacks.
            ~~~~~~~~~~
            I was born on 3/25…
            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

You should meth that supercharger up.

Comment

Yeah, I'm gonna have to, after feeling this thing breathing in the 20 deg air we've had recently. It really likes the winter...
                Last edited by Ether-D; 11-18-2014, 04:11 PM.
                ~~~~~~~~~~
                I was born on 3/25…
                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Yup this threads sucks....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  I'm cooler in person.

Comment

Originally posted by ajackz View Post
                    Yup this threads sucks...
                    It really does. No info in here. Move along folks.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~
                    I was born on 3/25…
                    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Man, i just spent ages reading this thread. All i have to ask is, how much for the manifold? :D

Comment

It is a long read. Thanks for hanging in.
                        The manifold? I'd make you one for $1000. I really don't wanna though (hence the price).

It wasn't all that difficult, just very time consuming.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~
                        I was born on 3/25…
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Read through this thread and I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing how you've made this car work.

Question for when you build the bottom end, how do you currently feel about running super eta pistons w/ the eta rotating assembly to complete the 2.7 stroker? Since they only bump your compression up 0.1 compared to flat tops, it seems like it would still be advantageous to get the match with the combustion chambers even if you get that small increase. Or even run a taller head gasket and get same low compression with matched pistons and chambers.

Probably cost effective and 2.7 is plenty of stroke considering the engine stress you save there over a 2.8 or 3.0 can be refilled quickly with more boost. I'm sure that's partly why RB26s have shorter strokes than a 325i for example. Either way, you've inspired my E30 and now it wants to grow up to be a lot like yours.

Comment

Originally posted by whitebulat22 View Post
                            Read through this thread and I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing how you've made this car work.

Question for when you build the bottom end, how do you currently feel about running super eta pistons w/ the eta rotating assembly to complete the 2.7 stroker? Since they only bump your compression up 0.1 compared to flat tops, it seems like it would still be advantageous to get the match with the combustion chambers even if you get that small increase. Or even run a taller head gasket and get same low compression with matched pistons and chambers.

Probably cost effective and 2.7 is plenty of stroke considering the engine stress you save there over a 2.8 or 3.0 can be refilled quickly with more boost. I'm sure that's partly why RB26s have shorter strokes than a 325i for example. Either way, you've inspired my E30 and now it wants to grow up to be a lot like yours.
                            Well, it's pretty damn easy to find an Eta bottom round here. Don't see many (any) super Etas at all. But I hadn't even considered combustion chamber matchiness.

It hasn't gotten quite that real for me yet. The damn thing keeps clacking-away and running just fine.

Also, thanks for your compliments. I think it's a worthwhile venture.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by whitebulat22 View Post
                              Superchargers aren't as efficient as turbos. A 2.7 with more boost can match a 3.0 with less boost when the boost comes from a turbo. However, with the supercharger more boost isn't always the best option due to charge heating. You don't want to run an M90 much over 12 psi... so a 3.0 on 12 psi will make more grunt than a 2.7 on 12 psi.

Edit: Also an RB26 has ridiculous port flow compared to an M20.

Comment

Some of you guys may have read posts here on r3v by a guy named Swanny and a guy named Andy.B. Let me just say that these guys are about the best kind of stand-up guys. I just had, delivered to me in middle TN, a whole m20b27 motor in fine condition. Andy.b in Buffalo didn't need it, Swanny was driving a car to TN for his brother from NY. Swanny put two and two together from reading my thread and offered to pick that shit up and bring it to me just because he could.

Btdubz, I had previously never met either one of these guys. Just on the inter web.

Sometimes I bitch about how many douchebags are on r3v. These two guys could singlehandedly make up for all of them.

Thank you Swanny and Andy.B. There is a lot of good left in this world.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~
                                I was born on 3/25…
                                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X