No announcement yet.

From knowing nothing to having a Thunderbird supercharger on an m20b27i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painted the m90 and some other things. Blew my back out early last week, haven't really done much else productive.

Latest pics for posterity:

Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
      Painted the m90 and some other things. Blew my back out early last week, haven't really done much else productive.
      That really sucks. I gave myself an L5S1 disk injury lifting weights with bad form when I was ~19 (Holy crap... that was 16 years ago). I have reinjured it at various points since then. I finally saw a real doctor about it, had some physical therapy, reorganized my lifestyle a bit, reintegrated the right stretching in my weightlifting routine and am on track to be stronger at 36 than I was at 22. Last workout was 280 x 20 in the trap bar deadlift.

If it's a muscle injury, let it rest and it'll be ok in a day or two. If it's a disk injury, get some professional advice from a sports medicine oriented orthopedist.

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post

Latest pics for posterity:

I like the paint job.
        "It's a M sport, it has M logos on it."
        -Miata Driving Douche-

Comment

Thanks fellas.

I've also been making gaskets for all of the supercharger flanges. I'm just using the roll o gasket from the hardware store (the paper kind), then I slather it up with gasket sealant on both sides and install.
          Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
          ~~~~~~~~~~
          I was born on 3/25…
          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

No aftermarket headers?

Comment

Nope, I've been eyeing the long tube ones on ebay though. I really wanted to do it while I had the motor out but cash is tight again.
              ~~~~~~~~~~
              I was born on 3/25…
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Mmmmk, question: The small coolant line that goes from the rear of the block to the throttle body and then on to the thermostat housing. Can I just cap this circuit entirely? I have disconnected them from the throttle body and attached them to each other currently. I don't see why they would need to be there anymore.

Thoughts?
                ~~~~~~~~~~
                I was born on 3/25…
                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I started a thread in the m20 sub-forum to answer the coolant line question. Forcedfirebird says it's no problem, and to just shove an oil drain plug in the block and weld up the nipple on the therm housing. I think that seems correct. I had to hit the tip of the oil drain plug with the grinder as it was a smidge too long and was touching the back of the cylinder wall from the water jacket side.

I've now made the last of the gaskets for the intake pieces. Everything is painted, and now I just need to get a deep well socket to remove the output shaft flange on the tranny so as to replace that seal, for it was dumping fluid. When I get that did, I'll be able to slap that bish back in the car and have some fun.

I think this 2.7 with the 155psi compression across the board may be substantially quicker than the 2.5 with the knock and wildly varied compression numbers (90-155psi). ..
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Lifted the new motor off of the stand and bolted the flywheel and the new pressure plate and clutch disc to it. I put blue locktite on the tips of the flywheel bolts and a bit of gasket sealant on the base of the threads. It appeared that the oil can seep out through the bolt holes which was the reason for the gasket sealant. I gave the tranny a new input and output shaft seals. Then I slapped that and the starter on there and she's just about ready to go in the car.

Last edited by Ether-D; 04-14-2015, 06:37 PM.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~
                    I was born on 3/25…
                    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Painted up the model emblem I purchased from ian325is and slapped it on the car. I fricking love it. Only bmw people will notice the difference.

A few motor w/trans pics:

~~~~~~~~~~
                      I was born on 3/25…
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

It's going in the car tomorrow. Right? Right??
                        Originally posted by kronus
                        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Yep, I don't think I can come up with any more excuses. Aaaaaaack!
                          ~~~~~~~~~~
                          I was born on 3/25…
                          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I finally put my BBS spoiler on the car today. I had to make new hardware for it, but it's sooooo cooooooool. Iiiiiiiiregardless, here are some pics:

The "s" is for supercharged…

~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Oh yeah, shout out to LJ851 for the diagram of the trunk-holes for the spoiler. I ran across it in another thread a week or so ago.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~
                              I was born on 3/25…
                              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Motor is in.

I had to take apart the old motor as soon as I could get it on the stand. I had to know. What was making the noise?! Well folks, it was a bad rod bearing. For a full year and about 15,000 miles, I dd'd and beat on, an m20b25 with a bad rod bearing, and it never went "bang". Slammin', you sir, are completely wrong about m20's.

The defense rests.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~
                                I was born on 3/25…
                                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X