Turbo M20 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo M20 questions

Hi everyone, I got my '87 325is a month or so ago and after finishing painting my brothers car I now have the garage to myself to use. My plan at first is to build a turbo M20. having that said, I have a few questions.

I want to run somewhere near 300whp, but for the sake of argument, lets say I want to run 1 bar. (sounds cooler, doesn't it? ;) ) My main concern for this car is that I want it to be reliable. So reliable in fact that I could drive it to California from North Carolina and not have a turbo related issue. I will be running MS for management, i dont know how to size injectors, or fuel pumps, but i can figure that out later. Another problem I might have is with boost threshold. I want this car to be able to run on the interstate for hundreds of miles (like I said, to CA possibly.) without a problem. I need to find a turbo thats efficiency band and threshold match what im looking for. I dont want to be running much of any boost at highway speeds. If I did, i would just shift down and stomp the gas. Is it worth my time and money to swap in a S52 and call it a day or to keep the m20 at first and turbo? reliability is probably my main concern, and I want to make some pretty good power. I just need any advice that I can get at this point. I know enough terminology to be dangerous, but not enough to design my own system yet. Thanks! as a side note, my budget is probably somewhere around $4,000 accounting for about $1000 extra unknown expenses. I have my own shop, free access to my own lathe and mill (with proper experience) and other materials. Thanks everyone.

Turbo is more fun and reliable, for your power goals, simply:

MS ems
    42lb green top injectors
    stock fuel pump
    hx35 turbo or similar

as for the engine:

O-ringed block + stock hg

Other accessories..

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

As a very unfortunate turn of events, my brother crashed his 99 M3 today. He is fine, but the car is definitely totaled. I am now considering buying the engine and trans from him to help him out, and we will part out the rest of the car. If not, I really like your advice. This is a lot to deal with right now though, so this project is being pushed farther back.

Comment

Working...
      X