Reinforcing my M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reinforcing my M20

I've been looking into Syncro325is's company's supercharger kit as it's coming along, and I am VERY interested in it. I didn't think this was appropriate to post on that thread, so here I posted.

Call me crazy, but I might be feeling the high boost setting of his kit (claimed 11-13lbs boost). Now regardless of what might be said, I don't trust my stock m20 to hold up to 7lbs right now, much less nearly twice that number. I'm going to convert the car to a 5spd (suggestions on which tranny to choose for this kind of application welcome, as I'm just starting to do the research myself). But on the topic of making the engine tough enough to take that pressure at around 7K rpm...

What should I look at getting my hands on? Obviously a MLS Head gasket and head studs. But should I look into forged pistons and h-beams? How about some more heavy duty pushrods? On this note, what cam should I run? a 304, or some size of Turbo cam, or do you think the stock cam will do fine (though i doubt it)? These questions and more.

Thanks in advance.

You'll definitely need better pushrods.

:giggle:
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ok. Sorry about that...

M20s don't have pushrods, are you thinking of rockers?
      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      I was born on 3/25…
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Arp studs, a new head gasket, and a good tune. Ran that for two years on a stock m20 with 16psi, and over 200k miles for two years before I decided to swap in my new motor. Didn't need the new engine, but wanted the piece of mind. M20's are very strong provided you have a decent tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
          Ok. Sorry about that...

M20s don't have pushrods, are you thinking of rockers?
          Yeah that's what I mean, lol, my mistake. I'm still learning about my car on things like that. I grew up on that classic 'Merican muscle tit, but then got my E30 and was henceforth married happily into the BMW family, though I'm still "learning my way around her internals" if you get my drift.

Comment

Originally posted by dontrusthise30 View Post
            Arp studs, a new head gasket, and a good tune. Ran that for two years on a stock m20 with 16psi, and over 200k miles for two years before I decided to swap in my new motor. Didn't need the new engine, but wanted the piece of mind. M20's are very strong provided you have a decent tune.
            Thanks! To be completely honest, I'm glad you said that. That means I'm gonna come out cheaper for sure for now at least, not that I probably wont add forged pistons and such eventually, but the fact that I likely won't really NEED said upgrades makes my wallet feel more at ease.

Comment

Also, not to spam the thread (sorry), but also, did you run that setup through your stock 5spd, driveshaft, and diff? I'm going to be looking into swapping said parts of my car out from the auto, so I'm trying to get a bearing on what components can handle what.

Comment

Originally posted by Sykohtic View Post
                I likely won't really NEED said upgrades makes my wallet feel more at ease.
                You don't NEED any reinforcement, and what reinforcement you choose to use or to hold off on is relative to you, there is no preordained yes/no list.

For example, there's no way in hell I'd simply replace rings, reuse the cam, stick with the original oil pump and call it good. But then again someone else might find that perfectly acceptable. I've seen something as simple as as reusing a rocker arm bolt destroy an otherwise "rebuilt" engine.
                ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Also, not to spam the thread (sorry), but also, did you run that setup through your stock 5spd, driveshaft, and diff? I'm going to be looking into swapping said parts of my car out from the auto, so I'm trying to get a bearing on what components can handle what.
                  Yup, stock trans, driveshaft, and diff. Actually was a stock clutch as well. Clutch finally started to slip after a few autocrosses though.

Comment

Yup, stock trans, driveshaft, and diff. Actually was a stock clutch as well. Clutch finally started to slip after a few autocrosses though.
                    Alright thanks, that definitely gives me solid ground to start from. Also, out of curiosity, how many miles did your car start with when you initially charged it? And then about how much maintenance did you put into the engine regularly? How much extra maintenance did you put into it, if any , above what you would have normally done? I'm not really worried per say that this week be a problem or game changer, but just for the sake of knowing.

Comment

Engine had over 230k originally. Basically, I pulled the head and put on a new gasket and arp studs. Did the water pump and all that crap. That's it. After that, no maintenance for two years (excluding little bugs here and there with the turbo setup) and then I swapped in a new motor that I built. Basically the original motor was a test mule for my turbo setup and megasquirt tuning and then this new motor is hopefully in for the long haul. New motor had every thing replaced except for little things like the oil pan bolts. This is my only car, so I put roughly 10k on it a year. I honestly can't think of anything that's broken off the top of my head. Fried a wiring harness, but that's because it was 25 years old.

Comment

I got a buddy who's selling a 5 Speed swap with clutch, pedal box, and the drive shaft (which you'll need) for around 600 everything that you need for the swap he has.

Comment

Engine had over 230k originally. Basically, I pulled the head and put on a new gasket and arp studs. Did the water pump and all that crap. That's it. After that, no maintenance for two years (excluding little bugs here and there with the turbo setup) and then I swapped in a new motor that I built. Basically the original motor was a test mule for my turbo setup and megasquirt tuning and then this new motor is hopefully in for the long haul. New motor had every thing replaced except for little things like the oil pan bolts. This is my only car, so I put roughly 10k on it a year. I honestly can't think of anything that's broken off the top of my head. Fried a wiring harness, but that's because it was 25 years old.
                          So a car with a motor running at around 130-135k should be fine to start with it sounds like. With the pumps... did you go with a replacement water pump and replacement oil pump, or did you size either of the two up? I'm pretty sure an M62 SC is not a self contained system and will, like a turbo, need oil pumped to it. Also, have you run an electric fan on both setups, or were you able to run a mechanical fan? I know that things are a little different between a turbocharger and supercharger because of routing and such, and the fact you're perched on the manifold and I'll be on the intake side, rubber-chained to the crank pulley...

Comment

The S/C has it's own oil. No need for running a line.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'm just running a single spal 16" fan. No problems with over heating at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X