Gt35 vs Super60 vs H1c vs hx35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gt35 vs Super60 vs H1c vs hx35

So I'm going the cheaper ebay route for my turbo (I know I know!), because I'm spending the dough on a 44mm tial wastegate. I found this gt35 with a smaller than usual housing, and I think it could be a good option.

This is the one I was leaning most towards, I think I'll get a good balance between spool and peak HP here with the smaller housing.

I'm building this car mostly for good old fashioned hooning, drift events, and fun blasting around town. I'd love to do autox, but funds are tight as a student and I already spend enough on the track with my 600rr.

I'm right in assuming that a bigger turbo will suit my needs, correct? Appreciate your guy's advice. :)
    87' 325is Wife
    09' cbr600rr Mistress

1) If you're using an Ebay manifold, they're T3 flanged.

2) In your other thread, you mentioned running 12 PSI. I don't know much about them, but I bet a T4 GT35 is a little big for that...
    The Great Big M20 Timing Belt DIY

Some good information I've found online (no affiliation):
    Turbo Tech (Garrett)
    Four-cycle information and cam properties for beginners (ISKY Racing Cams)

Comment

I have the updated cxracing manifold so its t3/t4. Ive been getting that response that the turbos im looking at are too big, but then I also see all this praise for the holset35's... are all these guys running way more boost?
      87' 325is Wife
      09' cbr600rr Mistress

Comment

In my opinion, the smaller HX35s are so commonly used because they are...

1) the same price as a comparable Ebay turbo

2) very durable

3) a USABLE size. They're not so big they aren't worth it, but there are better options out there if you open up your.

It just depends on your power goals and intended use, though. From what I remember (it's been a while) the compressor map for a Super 60 made it look like it would work for ~300-350, but that was about the limit. That said, a real Super 60 is going to be more than twice the cost of a HX35.

I have a way-oversized H1C, but I only use the car for high-speed auto-x, so it doesn't matter much if boost doesn't peak until 4000 RPM. As a matter of fact, it's a benefit to traction coming out of low-speed corners.
        The Great Big M20 Timing Belt DIY

Some good information I've found online (no affiliation):
        Turbo Tech (Garrett)
        Four-cycle information and cam properties for beginners (ISKY Racing Cams)

Comment

I had a super 60- you can find them from when the old ford thunderbird/mustang guys updated them to have a bigger compressor wheel. It was more instaboost at 2000rpm and enough to toast a stock clutch at 10psi- so I prolly never had it over 250hp there.
          I feel like it would peter out at just over 300, which seems low but is actually horrifying considering that is nearly 2x what your engine came with stock.

Comment

Working...
          X