Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will valve cover paint or hydrographics melt ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will valve cover paint or hydrographics melt ?

Anyone have trouble with paint or the like peeling with the turbo so close? I want to get my valve cover dipped in hydrographics and they said itll do 350 degrees but I know the turbo gets way hotter and wondered if special precautions need done to the valve cover. Im talking about the m20 btw

I painted my old turbo heat shield (read, repurposed cooking pan) and it held up for years with non high-temp paint.

Street fighter 2 spray tag. I was in college and probably drunk so please don't judge.

The valve cover paint seems to hold for about 3-5 years depending on how good you cleaned it before you painted it. I always used the 500deg paint I think. It will always eventually peel off unless you get it sandblasted/baked etc properly. This is not an expensive process but you cant exactly do it in your backyard for $10 either.

Edit: you can even paint the rusty exhaust manifold it will look good for 2-3 years. Just use 350-500deg paint plus a metel etching primer and make sure to clean it as well as you can. It WILL be at least 200 degrees so I would feel safer with the 500. Without a turbo blanket it might cook that spot if it is closer, but it will likely not get to 500.

Comment

Quint, that is hilarious. I have fully judged you for that sweet "turbo" paint job. I think my car needs one of those. Can you make me one, pleeeeeeaaaase? Full disclosure, I had a toyota starlet in black primer and electric blue separated by a "heartbeat" stripe down the side…
      Originally posted by Andy.B
      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
      1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      I was born on 3/25…
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Street fighter 2 turbo was my fav tho

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Edit: for clarification if you paint the exhaust manifold itself- use the 1200 degree stuff. Everything else shouldnt go over 500 unless it is having a bad time. If your exhaust manifold goes over 1200F you are having a bad time.

I think my buddy just free-handed it onto a piece of cardboard- then just cut it out with a knife+scissors. Spray and pray.

For cheaters out there just print it out on a piece of paper, tape it to your cardboard, then cut out the logo.

All toyota starlets propably need this beside the 80s heartbeat. I tried googling a picture of a starlet but all of them look badass as hell instead of period-appropriate.

Here is a diy that lists the pros/cons. $10 and about an hour will have your cover looking just fine for years, but it wont hold up forever as long as the $100 powdercoat. Ive done maybe 3 and give the paint process maybe a 3 year looking great lifetime, and after that it just looks way better than stock but faded/chipped. if this is your show car you will powdercoat. If it may explode and get crushed in the next 5 years- paint it and don't lose sleep over it.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Last edited by Q5Quint; 04-07-2014, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X