the right turbo questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the right turbo questions

ok, background: 86 325es miles ??? clock says 164K but who knows cause it has not worked since i got the car. owned it for a year, uses 1qt of oil a month. does not leak.
    next: im going to turbo this car witch is currently my DD,but im figuring in the price of a trusty rusty to drive to work and back while car is down into my budget witch is 4k total. im an auto tech and have been for 10 years so im not new to this,but 99% of my experience is in a dealership working on normal cars dealing with OEM parts. i have never turbo charged a car that was not meant to have forced induction,tho i am more than educated of the systems and what needs to be done.
    goals and aspirations: to make 200-240WHP of reliable power. I would like to be able to out run a wrx and keep up with an evo if that gives you a better idea of what im going for.
    so i plan to use a legit prefab manifold,no ebay special. as for a turbo..what would be the best bet to reach my goals? internal or external WG? next i need to know the best fuel managment for the job...i dont want to spend a grip on somthing that is over kill for the job at hand,but im not concerned with spending the money on the right item. i plan to make all the IC piping myself as i have a very nice pipe machine at work. as for the exhaust im sending it to the exhaust pros across the street for a nice 3" turbo back. i know i need a wide band o2 for proper tuning...is the a good setup that will come with everything i need to properly tune the car? does the maf shit its self when it sees boost?
    engine. i will either replace the b27 with a nice re-man or rebuild mine. i do plan on a i head at some point in time but not yet. for now,head studs and a fresh motor and im calling that a day for now. i know its a lot and believe it or not i have been researching this since i got the car,but poeple are either going for huge hp numbers or asking how to duct tape a 16g to the exhaust and run...i have not found a good answer for my modest turbo build. thanks

When would you like it to spool? Early or kinda late? Those power numbers are easily obtainable

Comment

Turbo - solid choice for that power on a budget is a Holset HX35 or H1C1... I have an H1C1 with a custom 9mm hotside (come with 18mm typically) and it spools great. If you can find a HX35 (they spool better and are more efficient) go that route. Will spool a bit later but you'll never run out of power up top.
      2016 F-150
      1987 Royalblau 325es B25 turbocharged

Build thread here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=405594

Comment

Working...
      X