M20 Turbo fuel system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 Turbo fuel system

So I have done some research and come up with vague ideas, or answers while searching the forums or google.

I am wondering what people are doing for turbo applications to run with full e85. i have seen many walbro 255 or bosch 044. I guess what i am looking for is what people run with the stock fuel tank and have been successful. Are we upgrading the entire line to a -6 line? or is factory line adequate. Are we running the factory fpr, or are we upgrading to a adjustable fpr?

I currently have a 700hp e92 and have gone crazy with my fuel system, but this is my first time back in the e30 community in over 10 years, so i know lots have changed, and many new ideas have come about. any insight would be appreciated.

Goals are to run 60lb injectors, and make between 350-400whp with e85.

For 60 lb injectors you are overthinking it way too much. With 60lbs injectors on e85 you will be at 100 duty cycle at ruffly 400 wheel hp at 43.5psi fuel pressure. Thats no bueno so you are going to need some deka 80's or some ids. You should be able to make 350-400 on pump easily though depending on your turbo. No real need for e85 there. Forget the 255 fuel pump, and the 044 (which doesnt like e85 anyways) and buy a walbro 450 intank for $100.

walbro 450
    stock lines
    80lb injectors
    nice inline filter

done.

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta View Post
      For 60 lb injectors you are overthinking it way too much. With 60lbs injectors on e85 you will be at 100 duty cycle at ruffly 400 wheel hp at 43.5psi fuel pressure. Thats no bueno so you are going to need some deka 80's or some ids. You should be able to make 350-400 on pump easily though depending on your turbo. No real need for e85 there. Forget the 255 fuel pump, and the 044 (which doesnt like e85 anyways) and buy a walbro 450 intank for $100.

walbro 450
      stock lines
      80lb injectors
      nice inline filter

done.
      So from what you are saying I am over thinking things.....a single Walbro 450 is easy and I am very familiar with them. (My e92 runs 2 of them) I do want to run e85, but if I can make 350-400 on 93 with that pump and 60lb injectors I guess I'll be good.
      People just keep talking surge tank and it is not something I really want to run.

Also the car is running a bw256

Comment

Excited to see what the bw256 can do on the M20. Please update the thread with a graph if you ever dyno it!

As mentioned, you don't need e85 to hit though goals, but it will definitely be safer and less stress in the long run with e85 and whatever tq figure matches your 400whp.
        I'd do what e30_gangsta says, but replace the lines and fuel rail with e85 rated components. It's documented well enough what e85 can do to rubber lines in the course of a year or two and not worth the ~$100 in savings or whatever.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
          Excited to see what the bw256 can do on the M20. Please update the thread with a graph if you ever dyno it!

As mentioned, you don't need e85 to hit though goals, but it will definitely be safer and less stress in the long run with e85 and whatever tq figure matches your 400whp.
          I'd do what e30_gangsta says, but replace the lines and fuel rail with e85 rated components. It's documented well enough what e85 can do to rubber lines in the course of a year or two and not worth the ~$100 in savings or whatever.
          I gots da BW256 on pump, should be getting a dyno tune sometime this summer. Tis the sex
          2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post

Well im sure I don't, but I like having the safety net of the e85, as well as options for the future!
            And I'm very aware what e85 can do......I have a full e85 system on my e92 making over 700 to the wheels. On that car I have full -6 e85 lines.....I practically replaced the entire fueling system there. Just moving back to an e30 is kinda of shocking.....I have been out of this scene for well over 10 years.

Comment

Right, so if it were me I would over kill the system if I was able to. There's no wrong in doing so!

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Working...
              X