Holset HE341?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holset HE341?

A friend of my cousin's is selling a Holset HE341 in really great shape for $200, which looks like a pretty great deal locally.
    I would like to eventually turbo my E30 but I had figured it would be best to rebuild+arp studs first, get it running perfectly, and worry about collecting turbo parts later. It runs questionably so I was researching a 24v swap instead of FI but I've never done either so it's a first step either way. I've also read that it's wiser to install an aftermarket ECU first and learn to tune properly with it first while still N/A, but I also see people slap on an eBay kit and run just fine. I'm getting conflicted messages.

Thoughts?
    Also hello first post

I have a 24v swap and bought the car myself and rebuild it after I blew it. I had to replace the block which is just as bad as a swap almost. Boost the m20 (sounds like you have it) and add an hx35 or the turbo your friend has and maybe some e85 for 400whp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NEOe30 View Post
      I have a 24v swap and bought the car myself and rebuild it after I blew it. I had to replace the block which is just as bad as a swap almost. Boost the m20 (sounds like you have it) and add an hx35 or the turbo your friend has and maybe some e85 for 400whp.
      I've just read your build thread, very nice documentation!

The HX35 seems to be a sort of standard for M20 turbos, and comparing specs the HE241 appears to be very similar. I'm not terribly concerned with endgame whp or how quickly boost builds right now as I've never done a turbo build before, I'd just like to have something functional to play with and learn on. I think I'll buy it, it's not as though I couldn't replace it later on.
      I feel like if I spend too much time minmaxing to build "correctly" right off the bat, I'll never get anything done.

Comment

IIRC and just looking at a couple of photos it. It looks to be about the same as the tried and true old holset HY35, from the 12v and 24v 5.9 cummins automatic trucks while the HX was a bit higher boost potential from the 3 pedal trucks. IIRC the HY35 on a M20 makes a good lower to mid range set up and builds boost much lower and runs out of steam at the top side, so it makes it very street derivable. Not that much difference from the HX series, but your not going to have as much potential to grow into it, as you would get from a little bit bigger unit, like the HX35 or the HX40 .
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
        X