Calling All Tuning Gurus!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling All Tuning Gurus!!!

Hey guys, I would love some help and feedback on an issue I’ve been chasing for months without success, and a lot of time and money wasted. Every time I get under boost, starting as low as 3000rpm, I get a horrible misfire and knock. 2 mechanics, 2 tuners, and my engine builder cannot seem to figure out the issue. We messed around with a lot of the tuning in TunerStudio and lots of the hardware. I changed my whole ignition setup, changed the spark plugs 3 times with lots of different gaps, and have tested common sensors such as my CPS. I’ve also done a leak-down test, compression test, engine oil inspection, and basically just a lot of tinkering around. My tuner tried to add timing to get rid of the misfire and it goes away but starts knocking like crazy. He also tried to take some timing away and we got even more misfire. No matter what he did on the dyno, he and 2 of his colleagues could not figure it out. To verify if it’s the engine, we unbolted to the BOV and did a pull to replicate N/A somewhat, and the motor did not knock or misfire, so it seems that the engine is fine.

Any help of suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The car was turbo’d back in June of 2016 and in that time, we haven’t had the car on the road a single time with a proper boostable state. (I have terrible luck)

Engine setup:
    -M20B28
    -M52 crankshaft
    -CP 9.0:1 Forged pistons
    -Eagle Forged rods
    -ARP hardware + ARP head studs

Turbo setup:
    -Precision 6262 T3 .82
    -Blunttech manifold
    -Precision 46mm wastegate (recirculated)
    -Greddy BOV
    -Fully straight piped 3” exhaust

Fuel setup:
    -Walboro 255LPH
    -Siemens Deka 80lb injectors (should I test these??)
    -Pump gas

ECU setup:
    -Megasquirt 2 PNP E30
    -Wasted spark using Megasquirt ignition coil and spark driver
    -Stock Engine harness mostly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much boost? What grade gas? Try 93 and pull some timing to start modest. How long was the car off the road? Bad gas?

Edit: I'm not a tuning guru, but that's my $0.03 (inflation sucks).
    Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
      How much boost? What grade gas? Try 93 and pull some timing to start modest. How long was the car off the road? Bad gas?

Edit: I'm not a tuning guru, but that's my $0.03 (inflation sucks).

I’m using 94 gas which is the best we have here in Vancouver, BC, but sucks compared to USA gas. Also we tried lots of adjustments to the timing.

Comment

How much boost? you didnt answer...

Comment

Oops, only 14psi

Comment

Originally posted by cro_xt View Post
            How much boost? you didnt answer...

Oops, only 14psi

Comment

I believe its some dumb thing messing around with you...
              Have you tried lower the boost like at 7psi or so, to see if you can get engine to run better? I doubt anyone will answer you here exactly what its about... You will have to play around with it and come to conclusion yourself...

What did you "play" with so far?
              Perhaps it could be your injectors? you can at least go test them...

Comment

I’ve tested so much stuff already. Injectors just came back from testing, and they were pretty good. I’m hoping someone has maybe been in a similar situation, so they could point me in the right direction.

Comment

Update: I double checked my wastegate lines and they were reversed. In a datalog it showed the car creeping/spiking to 20psi with a 12.5 psi spring. I have now correctly installed the vacuum lines and the boost stays steady. I’m pretty sure the knock issue has gone away now that it holds boost steadily, but the misfire is still there.

Comment

Working...
                  X