stand alone systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stand alone systems

so my question is to all those who are running higher boost turbo set up's on german cars using piggyback or standalone systems. What system do you use to tune spark and fuel? I know for BMW's its easy to get a chip re-mapped for your characteristics. if you don't use one of those systems do you use a wide band o2 to tune?

how easy is it to convert to OBDII MAF and MAP? I have an audi 5 cylinder and just trying to gather info on aftermarket (german specific) standalone or piggy back systems for tuning big boost. most of you are going to tell me to go to an audi website and ask this, but I know there are alot of smart people on this website so I'm just gathering info for now.

most standalones or even piggyback systems I see out on the internet are for japanese cars and usually 4 cylinders at that. I know there are some systems for ford v6's and such.

Originally posted by abepark View Post
    most standalones or even piggyback systems I see out on the internet are for japanese cars and usually 4 cylinders at that. I know there are some systems for ford v6's and such.
    Wow. I have no clue where you got your info, but you have been misled.

Haven't you noticed how MOST aftermarket management systems use GM sensors? It isn't just because they are cheap...it is because most of that shit started here in the good ol' USA.

The Buick Grand National is really the car to blame. GM ECUs suck in a major way, and guys wanted to make some real power...so they invented "options".

Due to the general thick-headedness of "domestic" guys, and the "tech-first" attitude of the "import" guys, aftermarket management has been basically taken over by the import guys. Go figure.

As far as engine management in general, remember that fuel is fuel, boost is boost, timing is timing, etc. Sensor values are the big qualifier, as doestic sensors tend to quite a bit different in voltage ranges from domestic to import.

Aftermarket management has been around for many years now...like '88 or so. I have dealt with a couple of "domestic only" systems adn I would not bother attempting to use them in a euro car. Stuff like the SDS system, the TEC III, MS&S or VEMS all work wonderfully in BMW's...go for it!

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

i have the split second piggy back in my n/a 325i 2.7 stroker and am pretty happy with it, i also have the mustang cobra maf conv and itb's. they make an additional "box" for timing control. you should have a wide band for tuning it, but it comes with a narrow band in the kit. using that and a little butt pucker tuning it seem to be ok. i really need to get a wide band set up (i am looking at the PLX devices) to totally tune it correctly though. one of the nice things about a piggy back is that you start with a base line map from the factory ecu, then modify it to fit your needs, with a stand alone you start from scratch and will need to spend some time getting it set up with baselines then go from there. i know alot of people that have used ALPHA stand alones on their sand rails and have been very happy. don't know about bmw's though.
      greg
      seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Look into Megasquirt and what ever their sprak managment system is. Many guys use that setup with much seccess. Be prepared to do some tuning though. It's not just "plug and play".

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
          Look into Megasquirt and what ever their sprak managment system is. Many guys use that setup with much seccess. Be prepared to do some tuning though. It's not just "plug and play".
          it's a five cylinder... afaik MS-NS does not support 5 cylinder fuel and spark apps. you can do fuel only with a 5 cyl, but what fun is that?

ms2 might have 5 cyl f/s compatibility, but only time will tell.

edit: mebbe im just stupid, but is this for an e30 or the audi 5 cyl?

Comment

034motorsport.com

they specialize with 5 cyl audis. have an ecu just for them
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X