Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m40b16 turbo td04-13t-4

Hello everyone,
    I start my build before few weeks. I bought turbo from e39 525d td04-13t-4, volvo t5 injectors 330cc, mini cooper intercooler, ebay blow off valve and some bmw pipes. I planed to run about 0.7 psi max with AFM blow thro. I made my own exhaust manifold, turbo above engine mount and 2" exhaust just with rear muffler. Finally I stared my car and its running rich on idle but whan I rev it, engine rev fast. I added 4 clicks on AFM and it work pretty well, but than i realise a problem. Stock actuator start open wastegate at 1.2bar and i swap it with 1 from Renault and new 1 start opet at 0.5 bar, but it full open wastegate at 1.8bar. After few tries i realize that my turbo make some boost around 3500rpm and and 5700rpm its makes 1.1bar. After few seconds engine change sound and I knew that i blow out my head gasket. Now I need some advices what to do, how to limite boost, what head gasket to buy and is it necessery to buy arp head studs for max 1.2bar. I am new in all of this stuffs and I need help, maybe you can help me to take ma build to next level.

Y don't u use an external wastegate. For headgasket stock is fine Ive had my stock gasket on for 7 years nw on a boost m10 motor and stock wastegate dropped me on the track n my car boosted to 1.5bar and it never popped the gasket and I'm using stock headblots. My buddy used the m10 headblots in his s50 turbo build and it's keeping well

Comment

I use internal waste and after few runs somethink happend with my actuator and it stuck and i run about 1bar maybe 1.1bar max. Engine change sound and from 4th cylinder oil and watter blow out. https://imgur.com/ufJcJ3C https://imgur.com/8unSADj
      Now I am looking for metal head gasket and ill try run it on stock head bolts now max 0.6bar new wastegate actuator. I found kdFi ECU but its everythink new for me so I dont know what I need to run it with that ECU.

Comment

You should lower CR... Use a decompression stainless steel plate with 2 oem headgaskets... Still cheaper than MLS gaskets,and also reliable...As for bolts,just use new oem properly torqued. What i did with mine supercharged M40 was that,i installed a AFPR with stock injectors and just raised the fuel pressure,then i adjust the AFM till i found a good spot.. You ll also need a wideband O2 sensor. After all that effort and so many hours i spent on that engine,i realized that it would be easier and cheaper to just swapped to an M50...
        Instagram

Comment

Yea Man I understand that is way better to buy m50b25 but its boring and everyone whos doing swap he put m50. I want something unique and that I bult it by myself. After this whats happend with engine I order 02 sensor, digital boost pressure gauge and 0.6bar actuator. I order new head gasket 3 layer for diesel engine. Maybe better luck next time.

Comment

Yes dude because M50 swap is the best performance/money ratio... I totally agree with you that something "built not bought" it's way better and cooler,but if u struggle with money,like me(I have 2 kids,can't spend much on car) you will look something cheap... As someone said before,weld the internal wastegate port,and use an external,it will be much easier to adjust the right pressure.. Don't forget a remap,with another injectors,u will be rich at idle, regardless of fuel pressure... NVMabout the results,please keep us updated! Ah btw, stay away from eBay blow off valves... totally crap! I also bought one from eBay for 20 euro and it was leaking air through the piston.. Then i found a used Forge for 50 euro and was excellent..
            Instagram

Comment

Working...
            X