Affect of Intake Size on Compression/Boost Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Affect of Intake Size on Compression/Boost Time

Hey r3v. I'm planning my intake with the eventual goal of going forced induction.

I'm trying to decide how to size it, and I want to know how the intake volume will affect the time it will take to react full boost. Everything I've read online/heard from people says that the larger the intake the better it will flow/boost. It seems to me though that the smaller the intake volume, the less air is between the turbo/supercharger and therefore the faster and stronger boost will develop?

Please let me know what you think and if I'm planning this the right way.
    Bigger intake is better for boost
    0%
    Smaller intake will spool faster
    66.67%
    Rob says it doesn't really matter
    33.33%

I did some research on the different intakes for the m42. There was a good discussion on miata forums. They quoted some research showing the lab motor making much more power with bigger intake plenum. I think the power was increasing until plenum reached 8 times the engine displacement. However for the boosted application it will increase the spool times and transient response. Are you going to notice the change if you double the volume? IDK. I know that factory intakes wheter its m20/m30 or early m42 are fairly well designed with equal air distribution in mind.
    Either way its so easy to crank the boost knob on the boosted car to make up for deficient manifolds and other components that it almost doesn't make sense for a street car to mess with the manifolds.

I am going to utilize honda B series manifold for my m42 build. The only reason for this is the stock e36 manifold sucks and i want to somwhat simplyfy IC piping. Also it will be easier to mount DBW throttle body on the honda manifold than early m42 one.

Comment

Working...
    X